Livin' la Vida Roko

Saturday, October 09, 2004

What I've Learned So Far

Taryn called this morning to say hello. Asking how things were going and what we're doing.... When I got off the phone, Ken and I started talking more about Portland.

1. Black walnuts stain. Rob's folks have a black walnut tree in the yard. I peeled one the first five minutes we were there to reap the bounty inside. Lo and behold, my fingers are totally stained and my fingernails and cuticles are black. Seriously. I had to cut my nails back to the nub to get the black off. My cuticles are still stained. It looks like I'm perennially dirty. Or maybe I am.

2. It takes more than two people to move that armoire. Ken and I unloaded the truck last night. We have a giant 12x30' storage room that you get free for a month when you use Uhaul one way. We almost lost the armoire... Ken threw his body under it as it was falling off the ramp and saved it. I got around to the other side and we managed to eek it back up. Misch was right. Moving those things suck.

3. Portland has tons of things to do. Just this weekend alone, there are multiple festivals, including separate ones for apples, onions and salmon. Sweet. My heaven. There's also tons of music shows... I was amazed. Wilco's playing here on November 11, per Rachel. Paul and Taryn would love this place. I like how this town gives you lots of options but doesn't force any of it on you.

4. Not working for a month rules. I love the chance to see everything without worrying about work. What a nice break.

5. You can eat cold weather food here. Wow. We ate steak, mashed potatoes and corn our first night here. Wearing long sleeves and pants. With red wine. Holy cow. This is going to work out great. Also got to go in the jacuzzi last night overlooking newberg. It was raining and cold, but the hottub kept you totally warm while you got the awesome view. Cold raindrops keep falling on my head...

In a nutshell, we're doing great. We find out about that house hopefully tomorrow -- it's a cute little craftsman style with an awesome kitchen and big front porch. $1150 for a 2 bedroom. Not bad. More than Tucson, but it's worth it. There's a yard. A porch. Basement with office, storage, washer and dryer. We can walk to places. What a concept. Hopefully 6 month lease while we look for a place to buy. I won't lie to you, I will be very disappointed if we don't get it.

No whammies, no whammies....

-L

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home