Livin' la Vida Roko

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Knees suck

Humans should never have been born with knees. They just cause too many problems.

As I posted earlier, my knee was giving me some pains. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with tendonitis in my hamstring tendon where it insertd into the knee. Basically it was a pain that I experience some time after running, usually the next morning. I went tp physical therapy and had ultrasound done, did my icing after exercising, stretching bfore and after exercising and too anti-inflamatories. After about 1-1/2 months the PT cleared me to run again.

Went for a light 1-2 mile jog for two days in a row and BAM the pain is right back. UGH....the frustration!! So I had an MRI done on Tuesday to determine exactly what the deal was. I thought "It can't be tendontitis, I've licked this thing. I must have originally torn something."

Well, the MRI came back negative. In fact, everything looks great especially for someone my age who's as active as I am. No tears, no deterioration of cartilage. Everything is just as it should be.

So where does this leave me besides frustrated? With tendonitis still. Basically the Doc says that I can still exercise but that I need to monitor myself and if the pain starts to come back, then take it easy. Taking anti-inflammatories, icing and stretching before and after exercising will cure this.

More of the same I guess. It's just annoying as all hell.

3 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Join a gym with a pool.

I can't say enough about the wonders of cutting (or replacing) relentless running with swimming. Seriously. A year ago, I could barely manage 4 laps. I recently broke through a plateau and now I'm up to 36 (approximately one mile).

I feel awesome. I look better (I've lost about 10 pounds since Christmas). And my feet (I have more problems with them than my knees--so far) don't hurt, because now I only run 2-3 times a week. I could probably quit running entirely and not miss a step (so to speak).

Anyway, I hope you get it taken care of, one way or the other.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger upgrdyrgrymttr said...

I had a similar problem a while back, and the gracious Sara gave me a wonderful piece of advice. Note, having any of your friends see you do this is well, erm, let's just say don't let it happen. The basic problem it seems is that one side of your leg muscles tone faster than the other and pull everything out of alignment. You may have tried it before, but meh i'll throw it out there.

Here's the stretch.

Lay on your side, and now lift your leg up so your legs make a V shape. Do this ~20 - 30 times for each leg.
Worked miracles for me.

Best of luck and speedy recovery.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Kyle said...

Despite everything else that seems to be falling apart on my body, my knees have been fine.

I know I am not built like you guys, but maybe the bike riding has helped. It is very low impact but keeps everything moving. A lot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home