Livin' la Vida Roko

Thursday, December 02, 2004

Brrrr

I am cold. Getting out of bed has been hurting these past few mornings because it's cold and still dark... I think the only thing that helps me is that we live in an old house and that's the way they're supposed to be in the winter. Getting dressed, I layer on a sweater, vest, fleece windproof jacket and hat to walk to the bus stop. Everything in layers because the ride to work can be stuffy, especially when the bus gets crowded. Also made some hot chai in travel mugs for us as we walked together to the stop. I clutch mine all chilly and look over at him to see he's wearing just a flannel with the sleeves rolled up. He looks back and laughs since I'm all shivery and ridiculous. He's always contended that he's a cold weather person. I fully see that now. I like the cold, but I like being warm in the cold.

I was thinking it may be a factor of our new house. I don't have that warm fuzzy feeling in the house yet. Besides the big furniture, nothing's set up. Seeing how many things there are left to do every morning gives me some sort of 'ugh' feeling because I have to go to work and do it later. To ease my anxiety, I have started working on small projects during the weeknights so I don't have so many things left for the weekend. I have spackled all the holes in walls. I have recaulked many of the doorways and weird cracks between moulding and the drywall (Rob and Lent can vouch here). But my biggest accomplishment thus far is finishing painting the bathroom ceiling, which I did last night. This is no big deal, but it feels me with a sort of satisfaction because I know that room is one step closer to being finished. One step closer to feeling 'warmer' in the mornings. One step closer to having a toilet paper roll holder installed. Luxury.

However, doing these weeknight projects is incredibly draining. We leave for work before 8 and get home around 6. Time to decompress, make dinner & eat leaves either little room for projects or little time for us. I can't wait for the weekend. Last night, I was running late and Ken made dinner. Wow. What an adorable sight to walk in the door and see him cooking at the stove. I hopped in the shower, then poured myself a glass of wine and talked to him as he stirred. It felt like a spa day. After dinner when things were put away, I painted the bathroom. Projects and together time in one night. Victory.

2 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Blogger Ken said...

Cold? It was 35 degrees this morning! Thanks for the chai. It was great.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger D said...

I think it was colder here this morning! 35 HA! I laugh at your 35! We in the desert truly suffer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home