Livin' la Vida Roko

Sunday, December 12, 2004

Sigh

Another weekend gone. They go by too quickly, especially lately. On Saturday, Ken went to buy the concrete and other materials to fill the side of the house. I painted the foyer ceiling and then went to trim six overgrown rose bushes in the backyard. Rob, I talked to you right before they beat me up. One giant thorny branch fell on my head. The others went to town on my hands and thighs. I was very bloody after the battle. I won, but it was not a pretty sight for either party. My right index finger swelled up and more than 24 hours later, I still can't move that finger without some dull pain running through it. Planted about 100 spring-blooming bulbs in the front beds. They were half off when we bought them... how could I resist? Then I went back to the store to pick up some more paint and the same bulbs were down to 75% off. So I had to buy another 140 more. Stupid OCD.

Went out with some coworkers on Saturday night. They're fun, but it's still at that awkward stage. It will be interesting to see if things proceed to friendship or if we'll remain just friendly coworkers. However, I decided that I love Tuaca Sidecars. Yum. Tuaca (instead of brandy), cointreau, orange and lemon juices. Rachel and Taryn would go nuts for them. Actually, Dave Herman might like them too, especially given his Yukon Jack tooth. Kyle, the 'Moscow Mule' was one of their signature drinks. Overall, the restaurant was great albeit really crowded. They featured 'southern' food, although it was mainly cajun with some mac&cheese tossed in. No shrimp & grits -- trust me I looked. I got the fried oysters -- in honor of Lent, who seemed to eat his fill of oysters when he was visiting. Come to think of it, maybe that's why he snuggled so much, Rob. Dave, they were awesome. Now I understand why you love them so much.

Sunday
Ken had already finished the leak on the side of the house by the time I got up at 10. He pulled up all the dirt out between the sidewalk and the house and went through 60 pounds of concrete filling the resultant crack. Crazy. Got my cup of coffee and we painted the foyer together... which ended up looking horrendous. Like the sun had thrown up all over that room. And not in a good way. I couldn't even be in the house. I left to go look at a chair for sale and pick up some more paint chips while Ken watched the viking game. Came home and we quickly picked out a color so we could get more paint on that wall before the store closed. It looked that bad. We love the color now, but I'm a little nervous for all the yellow in the house. Is that possible? In an attempt to make things cheery, even in the winter, we may have overdone it. Does our house look like a cheerleader exploded? I wonder.

The old owner left some paint cans in the basement, so I've been going through those colors looking for new ideas for the stairs, upstairs foyer and guest room. Any suggestions or recommendations?

1 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

Caroline and I had some oysters from up your way last week or so. If you two don't take advantage of your access to those little morsels and become insufferable oyster snobs, I will be very disgusted. Love those cold water oysters. Yum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home