Livin' la Vida Roko

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Yesterday

I posted yesterday from work during my multiple hour-long incubations with antibodies. I posted three times. And out of my six blots how many worked? One. And only half right. So frustrating that I pretty much could have stayed home and gotten more work done in the lab. And that's ridiculous. This isn't working. My home life rocks. Ken and cat and house. It's awesome. Work is... work. I thought postdocs were supposed to be fun and easy...
"you know how to do things"
"postdocs are so productive"
"You're the expert now".
I have my degree. Truth is, I feel like I know less know than I did my first year in grad school. I learned a ton in my classes. What a great overview of the big picture. Now, you have to read a ton just to keep up. And even then you're still missing things. I really understand the "knowing more and more about less and less". I feel over my head... in the techniques and the literature behind it. Crappy feeling for studying this stuff for 5+ years. I cried on the bus on the way home.

But there was Ken, all wonderful and supportive as he always is. Not making me make a decision about what I'm going to do to fix things. Just listening. I love that. Instead, he took me out to dinner to Taqueria Nueve, another mexican place around the corner from our house. I was anxious about it since the other tex-mex place stunk a big one (can read about it in an earlier post. I have a couple things I look for in a good mexican restaurant -- at least the kind that I like.
1. No relying on rice and beans as the standard side dish fare.
2. Give me a cheese other than monterey jack. And I don't mean cheddar. Bring on the cotija. The asadero. The oaxacan. And show me that you know how and when to use each.
3. What is their appetizer range? Are we talking chips and salsa? Guacamole and quesadillas? Or is this place going off the beaten path with some sort of ceviche, a dish of raw seafood that has been 'cooked' in the acid of lime juice.
4. MUST, MUST, MUST have a good margarita. And I'm not talking about the tequila+sourmix crap. I hate paying 6 bucks for a well-drink margarita. Put some effort in. Show some respect.

The verdict of T.N.: awesome. And on my above criteria? Let's go to the videotape:
1. No rice and beans side dish fare. Fresh veggie garnishes a la Cafe Poca Cosa and oaxacan fare.
2. Cheese usage: A guacamole tostada topped with cotija. Nicely done. Sara Burke's family would be proud, as it was sara that first taught me to use cotija, a crumbly salty cheese on top of guac, enchiladas, etc. When used right, nothing beats it. I didn't see a shed of jack cheese anywhere on the menu.
3. Appetizers. A ceviche that changes daily. Yesterday it was a hawaiian ono (a wahoo, if I'm not mistaken) that was perfectly 'cooked' and seasoned. Mentioned the guac tostada above. Others too, but I got sucked into the ceviche and promptly forgot them. No chips and salsa on the menu, although they offer salsa if you request it (a spicy red and medium green, the latter was fantastic. The former hurt. Misch would have loved it).
4. They have multiple margaritas on their drink menu but they emphasize two:
The Nueve, which uses fresh lime juice and a squeeze of orange. Reposado tequila. This margarita was tart yet sweet, fresh tasting and reminiscent of Poca cosa (who makes the best margarita in tucson, in my humble opinion).
Their other margarita, the Tradicional, uses fresh lime juice and silver tequila. This is their tart one, reminiscent of Brian Hawkins'. I didn't try it as Brian's silver tequila-all lime combo is too much for me. As my dad would say, "it puts hair on your chest". However, I'm proud that they offer both of these choices as their "standard" margarita. Everyone has different tastes. Even in Nogales, Mexico you can find both types, as Sara and I discovered when we did our Mexican Margarita and Guacamole Tour two years ago.

Suffice it to say, well done Taqueria Nueve. I have no reservations about coming back nor bringing Tucsonans craving more mexican food. Your carnitas taco was great but was far surpassed by your fish taco... perfect. Warm fleshy fish with a crisp exterior. Served in a warm corn tortilla and topped with a great crema and crisp garnish. Dave Herman and Taryn would love it, as it is reminscent of the taco place by Sandy Beach. Best part, you can buy tacos a la carte with your choice of mexican beers, just like in mexico. sigh. And best best part, no mexican ass disease despues. I personally complemented both the owner and the kitchen staff on the great food.

And so here I am again, writing at work in between incubations. Trying everything again. Please please work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home