Livin' la Vida Roko

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Week with Lent

Dave's leaving us today after being here about a week. Between hanging out with him and the long 4th of July weekend, we haven't posted much. But it's been a good week. Got to see Paul after his jobtalk and went down the street from our house to play some pool and drink some beer. Actually, I had a Tuaca Sidecar there that was absolutely amazing. The bartender said he uses both brandy and tuaca, which rounds out the flavor more than either alone.

The next morning Lent, Ken & I drove up to George, Washington to see Widespread Panic at the Gorge Ampitheater. We camped at Getty's Cove, an organized spot about 12 miles from the venue. I swear eastern washington looks just like Arizona, only cooler. The spot was fine but packed with loud 20-somethings that loved to set off bottle rockets in the middle of the night and do doughnuts around our tent at 5 am. Would have been fun with more people there, but with 3 people there wasn't much to do. We did drive to see Ginkgo Petrified Forest -- basically a desert hillside with small petrified stumps in cages. Then we went to see the show... and arrived with about 5 hours to kill. For a holiday weekend to see a great band, the place was empty. By the time we went in to see the opening band, the cars in the parking lot were only 4 rows deep. The security guard said the night before had only 4500 people out of the 22,000 capacity. It was kind of sad, but at least we got great seats right on a center berm. The doughnuts and fireworks started at 5am. Lent and Ken packed up while I slept and then threw me in the car without me even having to get out of my sleeping bag. 3.5 hours home... much better than the 6 hour drive up (including our stop at the Full Sail brewery per Taryn's recommendation).

Relaxed and made more jam on Monday, then went to see the fireworks over the Willamette. They were ok. I think I will just stay home next year and grill out. I don't think that I gained anything by seeing them. Although the bike ride down and back was very fun. Another softball game last night and then my first visit to Hooters with the rest of the all-boy softball team. Yep, there's something else I can check off my list of things I'd like to do again. Their tan shiny pantyhose freaks me out.

Then today I rode my bike down the OHSU hill (very fun!) and met Dave & Ken in Chinatown for lunch (my review to follow). Lent should be leaving around now. Sure was nice having him here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home