Livin' la Vida Roko

Friday, August 26, 2005

It's all balance, right?

High heels on a woman is a beautiful sight.... especially when that woman can go about her business without worrying that she's been standing on her toes for hours held up by tiny toothpicks. I can do some heels but I'm about as steady as a mountain goat -- falling off a cliff. It's just not a pretty sight. In Tucson, we'd have girl nights and drink old fashioneds and practice walking around in heels. The alcohol helped, but in hindsight I think it was the sticky floor from those drinks being spilled that kept us upright... kind of like fly paper, if you will.

Anyway, I've been searching for shoes for Whitney's wedding in three weeks. Usually, I wear some type of flat sandal or heels that have thicker "heel" for lateral support. Shoes like this are impossible for me, whether they're 1/2" or 3 inches off the ground. I am no weeble. I wobble. And fall down. Hard. However, the strapless-kneelength black dress that we're wearing looks best with heels. A flat shoe won't cut it, so I have been searching for quite a while. Also, I've been looking for a shoe that doesn't have an ankle strap that will visually cut my leg in half... if that stupid subscription to In Style has taught me anything, it's don't pick a shoe like this with a shorter dress... it will make your legs look shorter than they are. I've been looking for an upper part that looked something like this... back strap for support that didn't go all the way around the ankle. Front part that had nice lines (although the heel here wouldn't work for me). Anyway, I finally found my dream shoe yesterday in Seattle on my way to Pike's Place. An inch to inch and a half heel.... not a finger heel, but the dream heel that is thin when you look at it in profile, but thicker when you see it from behind. Finally, a heel where I won't twist my ankle with one false step.

It will take two steps.

1 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger Taryn said...

Your wedding was the first and only time I've worn heels in public (not counting girls' nite). I got the thin but wide heel too and it worked out great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home