Livin' la Vida Roko

Thursday, May 04, 2006

I get too excited

I'm sure you've seen a dog who gets so excited that as he wags his tail, his whole body moves. This is my dilemna. But instead of wagging my tail in excitement, I've started interrupting. To be honest, I've been interrupting for a long time now but my attempts to fix it have been in vain and that bad habit of mine has gotten worse, not better.
Example: Last night Ken started talking about an idea for the arbor we're going to build in the backyard. I love talking about gardening. I love it more when he talks about gardening. I got so excited as he was pitching his idea, I kept interrupting... literally trying to guess what he was going to say next.
Yeah, that doesn't work. And I'm sure you can imagine his frustration of trying to tell someone something but they won't let you get a word in edgewise. Like I said, this is my dilemna. I need to just shut the hell up. I know this. Having the virtues of patience and listening, like Hawkins and Ken possess, would be amazing. Both of them know when to be quiet, which is probably why they do so well in social and business situations. Instead, I am my father's daughter and interrupt all the time while often putting my foot in my mouth. That, in itself, is quite a skill. Rachel and Taryn say that they'll stick around sometimes just to hear me botch some conversation and make things awkward. It happens all too often.

Ken said he's going to start using the word "Beetlejuice" when I'm starting to say things that I shouldn't or if I'm interrupting without noticing. Hopefully, it will get me to think more before speaking. Especially if he has to say it three times.

5 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Blogger Brian said...

..

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

Yes - "beetlejuice." Very inconspicuous.

BTW - No one likes a person who uses their blog to lament their personal failings.

Grow up and suffer your insecurities in private.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

The difference is I'm not looking for others to fix my personal problems or tell me how to be a better person.

My personal failings are strictly for other people's amusement.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Brian said...

..

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

D & I use George Stephanopoulos as our "safe word".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home