Livin' la Vida Roko

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

How to Get a 70 Year Old to Cry Like a Baby

I haven't posted the past couple of days because my brother, his girlfriend and I flew back east to surprise my dad for his 70th birthday.

My mom knew. My dad hadn't a clue. I arranged our flights such that Andrew & I got in within 20 minutes of each other. A family friend picked us up from the airport and brought us to the restaurant where everyone was meeting for dinner. Harry went in first and sat down. My dad was placing his drink order when I went up behind him and said "I'll have a Yuengling" (a PA beer). He turned and looked at me for several seconds before it started to register (He later said he was thinking "wow, that girl looks like Lisa"). Then he turned to see my brother on his other shoulder.

And then out came the waterworks.

Puddles McGee.

Apparently, even the restaurant staff started crying.

And so began the weekend of ridiculousness. The hilarity of all of us together. It was like nothing had changed since we were growing up except now my folks weren't upset about us sneaking beer. We had a great time -- family dinner on Friday. 70th birthday party with 65 people on Saturday. Breakfast, family time & bonfire on Sunday (aka my dad's real birthday).

Taryn even made my dad a skier pinata that I took home on the plane:


When he saw it, he laughed so hard he practically cried. And then when we showed him the stick to whack it, he kept evading it -- went to check the music, get a drink, etc. I thought it was just ADD, but when we insisted on his blindfold to whack it, he got really upset. "I am NOT going to hurt him". "He's terrific." We have a running joke in our family that everything is named Joey -- my brother named everything Joey when he was little, from stuffed animals to fish to plastic toys. Needless to say, when I asked my dad what he wanted to name the pinata since he had decided to save it, he said Joey. So Joey the Pinata made it through the weekend unscathed.

Monday we flew out. A short but great visit. We're all going back for Christmas. I have a feeling it will be silly as well, but on skis. Happy birthday Dad!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home