Livin' la Vida Roko

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Boy's Weekend

Friday was our dodgeball draft. The draft is just like Tucson Ultimate's, for those of you who played. 13 captains (Ken was one) went through the player list drafting team members. The draft was closed except for captains, so I was at home starting the first part of staining the arbor. Ken texted me when they were finished and I met them for a drink and then we went to a friend's birthday party.

On Saturday, we spent most of day on the first coat of the arbor. I did most of the trim work, Ken did the high portions and the floor. The hops are just about to the deck floor; it's amazing to see how fast they're growing. We finished the first coat around 4:30. We took showers and then met a friend to play 12 holes of golf. I am really enjoying golf. Ken said I almost got 2 holes in one (par 3 course -- around 68 yards on average). He also said the day I get a hole in one is the day he quits golf. I ended up averaging 4.75 strokes a hole. Pretty good considering I have only played once before. I like walking around the gardens and grounds, chatting and having a beer at the hut along the way. My mom says you wait until after your round to have a beer, but the lure of the secret beer shed is too much for me.

On Sunday, we had breakfast outside and then did the arbor's 2nd coat. It felt wonderful to finish it. As it dried, I convinced Ken to go to the driving range. Yeah, it didn't take much arm twisting. We each hit a bucket of balls. He says my swing is really stiff and awkward. I tried getting my swing to go back farther, but I have no control that way. I slice, top and whatever other term there is for hitting the ball wrong. My Frankenstein swing works so much better and gives me more accuracy. I'll slowly try switching, but for now I'll take whatever helps to get me on the green. After we finished, I was antsy to watch some girls swings to see how they do it. Ken suggested we grab lunch and a beer at the golf course's restaurant overlooking the 10th tee. It was fun. We sat and people-watched for an hour or so. I got to see lots of swings -- what worked, what didn't. I told Ken I now know why guys love golfing so much. It is so peaceful and relaxing. Unbelievably, I actually watched the US Open on TV when we got home. What is wrong with me? Long story short, it was a golf weekend and I have sore hands from swinging the club so much. I counted that we played 4 times in 8 days -- 2 courses and twice at the driving range.

Ken said we'll take this weekend off, but I bet I can convince him to play on Sunday.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home