Livin' la Vida Roko

Thursday, October 28, 2004

Free Desk!

Yep, the craigslist mania continues. Bought an $80 dining room table that we're refininishing. It's a round 4 ft heavy oak table that can extend up to 7 feet. Wow. I can actually seat everyone inside for dinner rather than putting them under the makeshift carport - a la Tucson. I'm so excited. I can't wait to cook in the new house. Bought myself a $25 bike for cruising around, nothing fancy but it will do in a snap. We also got a free giant desk today and actually hauled it out of an old building downtown while Ken was double parked. Just when Hawkins and Lent thought we had enough stuff. Curses.

On the house front, we're still closing on the 16th. Turns out that 15 ft of the sewer was failing and needed to be replaced -- costing about 2400 smackeroos. That's a lot of sandwiches. After a couple days of waiting, we heard today that the seller agreed to cover it. Hooray. They won't be paying for the 500 bucks in other stuff that needs to be fixed, but last time I checked, $2400 was way more than $500, so we're happy. They also are hydrojetting our gutter drains, since the leaves had clogged them all up underground. We also get to keep the cool gas stove rather than them swapping us for an electric one.

So it looks like things are going well with the house stuff. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I know we're taking care of all these things and they're all falling into place nicely, but the wait is killing me and I feel that I don't have anything to show for this past month. still no house. still not working. the paper that I submitted before I left was rejected, meaning I have to rewrite it. None of these things are a big deal. They're all working out fine. Just takes some time. Besides, none of them really matter that much anyway. What matters is that I have a great family, friends, health and a killer husband. Actually, things on that front are going better than I could have imagined. We have spent 24 hours a day together for over a month. That's crazy. It could have spelled disaster, but has been awesome. Wow.

Can't wait for another month and for things to start settling down. Found a great little cafe today though that serves breakfast all day. Within biking distance. Actually, it's owned by the lady from whom we're buying the house. Weird. We were incognito and paid in cash, but it was awesome nonetheless. Looking forward to going there and actually saying hello.

-L

2 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Blogger rob said...

So excited for you guys. I'll be in Oregon from 11/16-11/21ish. I'll see you soon.

 
At 5:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I have no email address for you folks, so I'm gonna try it this way.

Devendra Banhart is playing in Portland. You MUST go see him! I think the younggods website (record label) has some audio tracks I believe. Giving his music any sort of label would be a crime, well except maybe megaridculacioussweetnannyness. yeah. that fits. enjoy.

Wed 11/17/04 Portland, OR Berbatis Pan Devendra Banhart, Scout Niblett

Mahalo,

Alex

 

Post a Comment

<< Home