Livin' la Vida Roko

Thursday, October 21, 2004

History caught up!!!!!!

I was silenced last night.

Not by Lisa giving me a glaring look after me saying something idiotic. Not by feeling shy and nervous around new people I don't know. No, I was silenced by the one of the few constants in my life that has given me such joy......sports.

You see, I've been an obnoxious Yankee fan for almost 26 years. Ever since my first trip to Yankee Stadium, July 14, 1978 versus the Chicago White Sox. As an impressionable 4 year old, I saw the Yankees down by 1 heading into the bottom of the ninth. They managed to score a run to send it into extra innings. A bottom of the 11th homer won it that day......and then I was hooked. I mean, who couldn't be. Guidry, Munson, Nettles, Gossage, Pinella, Catfish, Dent, Randolph, Reggie. It was awesome!!!

But the events that have unfolded over the last four evenings had me thinking. Does history catch up to us? Could the Red Sox finally beat us in a playoff series? Is this our margin call? As much as I didn't want it to happen (at least not in my lifetime), I knew that eventually it would have to happen....and it did.

And so there I was, sitting in Rob's parent's living room, watching Kenny Lofton ground out to second base to seal the Yankees fate for this year, to cement in history the Yankees' worst collapse and the Red Sox' most fantastic comeback. Without unpleasant events in our lives, we can never appreciate the pleasant ones......right??

They assembled an incredible team. A team that was built to beat us. A team that wouldn't give up. A team with true grit. Rooster Cogburn would have been proud.

So I'm here to applaud the Boston Red Sox. You deserve nothing but respect from Yankees fans far and wide. As an obnoxious Yankee (and life-long Red Sox hater), I have to say that you have all of my respect for fighting back like you did. Well done!!!!

It's about damn time.

Now wouldn't it be ironic if Roger Clemens beat the Sox in a game seven??? He-he.

1 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

Classy post, Ken.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home