Livin' la Vida Roko

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Home sweet home

We're back after a long weekend of skiing in Utah. Beautiful weather -- 32+ degrees and sunny. No slush. Perfect. Skied in sunglasses and my windbreaker. It doesn't get much better than that for me. Ken, on the other hand, is a powder hound and missed the fresh white stuff. Lo and behold, it snowed 8-11 inches the night before we left, meaning Ken was very sad that the only day of fresh powder skiing was getting left behind (Mt Hood is already closed for the year due to lack of snowfall).

Skied the trees and bowls of Park City for free the first day. Took the first flight out and we were on the slopes by noon and drinking in the bar by 3:30. Now that's my definition of jumpstarting your vacation. Did Park City the second day with an all mountain tour with everyone.

From left: Lent, random fred, Dave, Kristen, Paul, Taryn, me & Ken 


Skied Solitude with Lent, Dave & Ken the third day. I love that place. It beats Deer Valley, Brighton, Snowbird & the Canyons in my book. Reminds me of a smaller Alta and is a great all-around mountain -- easy to meet up with friends who choose to ski different stuff. (I was telemarking, meaning Ken could snowboard the trees while I figured things out on my leisurely green/blue runs and could still meet him at the bottom of the lift). The fourth day was my day of rest (aka superbowl). Slept in, went to try on ski boots in town since mine are on their last legs. I actually found a pair I like and will be getting them come the end of the season. Also found a pair of googles I love: Smith Anthem's, which are perfect for smaller faces. Yet another thing that will be purchased in the end of the season sales, since my old ones cracked this weekend. Got some great mileage out of both my boots and googles though, as I've had both since high school... a good 10 years of use, including when I was racing in college. Goodbye pain. It's now time for the Judy Marriott school of skiing -- enjoy yourself. No more of my boots being too small that they cut off the circulation to my toes. Next year will be a beautiful season.

Ah, but I digress. Ran some other errands in town (read: bought fudge for the lady taking care of my stuff at work) and then headed back to our place for the superbowl and my 3-hr-long hot tub soak with Kristen and Miller Lite while the boys watched the superbowl. It was a great day.

Got back Monday afternoon to a freshly painted house and a lonely cat. Felt nice not to have to do anything. But then I started freaking out about the declining list of things "to do" and wanted to start on the basement. Bad mistake. Ken pulled me away and got to relax and make a leisurely dinner before going to bed at 9:00.

Sweet dreams.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home