Livin' la Vida Roko

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Scissors and a pair of chopsticks

I've been cutting our grass with an electric weedwacker that I found in the garage. I've done it twice. Ken laughes at me and wants to buy a gas lawnmower pronto. Truth is, I'm not as gung ho about it as he is -- cutting the lawn with a plug-in weedwacker only takes me 20 minutes (10 in front, 10 in back). Our yard isn't that big. Buying a lawnmower and gas for a machine that will be used for 3 minutes a week makes me feel wasteful. Only downside with the weedwacker is holding the button down for so long hurts my hands and I don't get as 'even' a cut as I would with a lawnmower.

I know I'll cave sometime over the spring/summer, but for now I'm enjoying the 20 minutes it takes -- I was in Tucson for 5 years, land of dirt and beautiful sunsets. It's nice having to mow grass for a change; it's actually kind of fun.

4 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Blogger Taryn said...

You could get a push reel mower. I think they work pretty well as long as you don't leave them out in the rain and let them get rusty like I do.

http://store.yahoo.com/cleanairgardening/scotclasreel1.html

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I haven't tried one of these before.

Are they hard to get to work when grass is tall or you don't have enough inertia, like when you're just starting out or maneuvering around a tree. Does your whole body ache after or are they easy as pie and I'm being ridiculous?

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger D said...

I say spring for the gas mower. You can find them cheap used. I've used the weedeater method and taryn's reel mowers and now we have the gas one for our "back 40" it's a bit ridculous for such a small patch but at least it comes out looking nice. Hot days + low effort = happy d.

 
At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know they have electric mowers which would work great for a small patch like yours. The push/mechanical mower will truly suck in Oregon. I also love mowing lawns. We will have a big one in Alaska. Love, Loopy Giggleshorts

 

Post a Comment

<< Home