Livin' la Vida Roko

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Haircuts

I miss Miss Honey in Tucson (named for the character she looked like in the movie Matilda; strangely she also shares the same first name as that character). She cut my hair for 2-3 years in Tucson before we moved here. It cost a little more (~$40 for a haircut, not counting tip), but I always loved the haircuts and the way they grew in over time. I could get by for 4-5 months without needing a new one. She also dyed my hair back to its normal color a while back; it's been wonderful to not have to dye it anymore. All together, great haircuts.

She went on maternity leave right before I got married, so someone else cut my hair in September.

Then we moved to Portland and a little shop around the corner from our house cut my hair in December, although I wasn't hip enough for the cut they gave me and I looked & felt ridiculous.

I've been putting off getting it cut ever since.

We have four haircutting places within four blocks of our house. Seriously. I stopped by a place on the way home from work tonight and the lady said she was finished for the day. Grrr. So I walked a block further and stopped in Bishop's, a local 'chain' that bills itself on being the "original rock & roll barbershop".

Hmmm. If I'm not hip enough for the place around the corner, I'm definitely not cool enough for this place. But I went in anyway, lured by the sign that said haircuts for people with long hair are $24. This place only does 'walk ins' -- no appointments. I put my name on the list and within two minutes a girl called me to her chair and asked if I'd like a beer or a glass of water. She comes back with a bottle of high life, puts the drape around my neck and asks how i want it cut. By the end of my beer, I had an awesome haircut...length between my chin & shoulders with all sorts of layers that make it feel light and full of body.

I am happy. I feel cute and revigorated. It feels like spring, especially since it was still light outside when I left Bishop's. I can't believe that a haircut, beer & tip within walking distance from my house only cost $30. And they give you a little card so that they'll give you a free haircut if you get 10.

I love this town.

4 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Blogger Taryn said...

That's awesome. Don't remember if I told you, but Miss Honey is gone for good. She decided to be a stay at home mom. So sad.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Julie Miller said...

Lisa- what color was your hair before you dyed it? I know what you mean about good haircut people- I have gone to the same one for like 4 years here in Tucson so will have to find someone good in LA. I can't believe they give you beer while you get your haircut- only in Portland! I loved your post. Julie

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Didn't know Miss Honey left; that's too bad.

Julie, my hair was blond when I was younger but darkened with age. I started with the lemon juice in middle school, then peroxide in HS & college & then went reddish in grad school. Coloring your hair is addictive but fun. A lot of work to maintain, too. I'm too lazy for that; glad I'm out of that cycle. I have no doubts you'll find someone to cut your hair in LA.... I have a funny feeling that there are a *few* people that cut hair out there.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Julie Miller said...

hi lisa, well i am relieved to know that your original hair color wasn't green or anything, mine used to be purple- but that's another story...lemon juice- interesting, i once decided to be adventorous in college and dye some locks bright green but no one could tell dammit! yes- i think i will be able to find a stylist in LA but the key will be to find someone who knows good Hollywood gossip and could introduce me to Colin Farrell or some hottie....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home