Livin' la Vida Roko

Monday, April 25, 2005

"You women need to trust your men more"

Ah, behold the sweet words a girl longs to hear while camping. Um, no. But I'll get to that in a minute.

Ken and I decided to hit up the Seafood festival in Astoria. The Newport one was a bust; surely this one had to be better. Astoria's about 100 miles away so we decided to relax on friday night after work and head out on Saturday morning. This weekend was all about food.

On Friday night, we walked four blocks to a sweet little italian place called Il Piatto. Great ambiance and despite it being somewhat out of the way (i.e. not on any major streets), it was packed. We had a great dinner though. I had potato gnocchi with a gorgonzola cream sauce (which was amazing; Brian you would have lost your mind for the flavors in this dish -- especially since it was garnished with crispy pancetta and sauteed red onions. everything wow). Ken had the rock shrimp linguine with a spicy garlic & basil pesto sauce. I had a glass of white wine, he had a black butte porter. $30.90. Not bad at all for dinner for two including alcohol.

On Saturday morning, we stopped by Ken's Artisan Bakery on the way out of town. Felt guilty cheating on Crema, but I wanted to try some place new. Ken had the hot spinach & feta croissant and a chocolate berry brioche. I had a ham & gruyere croissant (my fave) and chocolate berry brioche (wanted to try something else since ken was already called the c.b.brioche, but you should have seen how poofy it was with fresh chunks of marionberries and sharffen-berger chocolate. I had no choice. It called to me and said that it wanted to be in my tummy. Verdict: great atmosphere but packed (reminded me a little of Tartine bakery in SF). Tartine still wins for my favorite bakery. Ken's Artisan was very good, although I wouldn't make the 50 block journey on any sort of regular occasion. Unfortunately I think it beats Crema, although if crema moves into more hot food I think it can easily give K.A.B a run for its money. Next bakery on deck: Criollo bakery.

Ran a few errands on the way out of town and made it to Astoria around 1 pm.

(Actually, I'm going to catch the bus. This post will be continued)

2 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Blogger Julie Miller said...

Lisa- your blog about the food made me salivate, what the hell am I doing going to LA- I should be moving to Portland and eating nonstop. I hope that I am lucky to be able to walk to some nice italian place a few blocks away- sounds dreamy....what I really admire is how much you and Ken are experiencing of Portland, I am going to remember that despite the fact that I could work crazy hours as a postdoc, that I want to enjoy LA a lot.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Brian said...

Did you see the Goonies house while you were in Astoria?

Julie--the food is one of the few reasons I can think of to live in LA on purpose. You won't be hurting for restaurants there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home