Livin' la Vida Roko

Monday, June 13, 2005

I wrote this to Kristen this morning, then realized it pretty much summarized our weekend.

Had a great weekend though. Friday I drank at work and then and Ken went out for wine flights at the bar down the street -- I had the pinot noir flight, he had the chilean flight. Then we walked down the street to Bonfire and played some pool, which was also pretty fun. Love being able to walk... the farthest we walked was still shorter than the distance between the bellevue house and the garter. I love that. Saturday we biked down to the burnside bridge to watch the grand floral parade of the rose festival and then up to the farmers market. Picked up a bag of baby artichokes and got the best blackberry muffin I've ever had in my life. Biking wasn't nearly as scary as I thought -- was kind of fun and made me feel I was at the beach. When we got home we had lunch and then dug up part of the backyard and made a new garden bed with a truckload of fresh compost. Sunday we transplanted Ken's corn to the new bed as well as some other flowers and veggies. Then we weatherproofed the back deck for the party we're having on Thursday (goodbye party for a girl at work). Has to cure for 24 hours. Lo and behold, on the last step it started to drizzle. Go figure. Didn't seem to matter when we looked at it this morning before work. So overall, fun weekend but tiring.

Got an email from taryn; they're staying with us on Tuesday night rather than camping, so that should be fun. It was fun having them here. Then Sara Burke and Drew come in on Thrusday night; going camping with them this weekend, location TBD.

The weather is still chilly. around 65 most days. I'm still wearing jeans and sweaters, which seems ridiculous for mid june. I'm excited for sun and short sleeves, but the weather is perfect for sleeping at night and it's totally reasonable to walk around during the day without being hot or cold. In all, it feels like perma-spring. The last frost date is April 15th and apparently it feels like summer here July 4. So it really is like a long spring. The flowers are going
crazy as are our veggies. Guess there are always tradeoffs. The natives are startiing to get restless too though; it helps me to hear them bitch about the unseasonable rainy may and june we've had. Glad it's not normal.

1 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

I had a dream last night we got a freak snow storm and all of our plants were covered with two feet of snow -- instantly freezing and killing my beloved tomatoes (I think we have 14 tomato plants in the ground -- all different varieties). I am very excited.

I also dreamed about science all morning... NFkB/IkB/IKK were all talking to each other. literally. Having a conversation -- picture a cartoon version of molecules with feet. Yep, like that.

Um, yikes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home