Livin' la Vida Roko

Friday, July 08, 2005

Hello, my name is Violet Beauregard

I can't stop eating berries. They're everywhere. I've been waiting for this time of the year since before we left Tucson and now that it's here, I am literally making myself sick from all the berries. I take a pint to work with me for lunch (blueberries and raspberries mixed). then I eat some with milk when I get home. Then if we eat a bowl of ice cream later that night, more berries.

This summer, we've PICKED a total of 60 lbs of berries in the past 6 weeks (20 lbs of strawberries with T&P + 5 lbs of blueberries + 15 lbs of raspberries on my birthday and then the saturday after + another 15 and 5 lbs of each blueberries and raspberries (respectively) with Lent.... bringing the total to 20 lbs of strawberries, 20 lbs of blueberries, 20 lbs of raspberries. This is not counting the 2 flats of jamming strawberries I bought (prepicked for $5/each) nor the two pounds of hood river bing & van cherries I got for our trip to Washington with Lent. Nor does this include the blackberries, boysenberries and marionberries that are just now coming in to season.

I think I am addicted.

I've made 6 batches of jam so far (strawberry, strawberry rhubarb, raspberry, spicy raspberry, blueberry and another strawberry). Some batches are already gone (first batch of strawberry, the s-rhubarb & spicy raspberry). I have five gallon size freezer bags filled with frozen berries.

So given all this, why do I still want to drive 45 minutes to the 13th annual Hood River Cherry Days for their u-pick celebration tomorrow? Yep, I know Ken has a softball game at 8 am & 3:30pm.... that's why I'm going in between.

I have problems.

3 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

My apologies but . . .

Does the consumption of all these berries not have some deleterious effects on your (ahem) digestive system?

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I haven't checked too closely, but I'm sure if I went to a field and dug a hole, an entire berry plantation would surely spring up.

Oooh, compost!

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Ken said...

There will be no composting of feces in our yard!!!!!

I HATH SPOKEN.

Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home