Livin' la Vida Roko

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Lisa, version 28.2

I have always been a late sleeper. Late to go to bed, late to rise. The worms are always gone by the time I make it on the scene. It's actually quite frustrating to be labeled as lazy just because I wake up later than 'morning people'. Seriously, if Suzy Sunshine (morning person) and I each paint a room -- she does it in the morning, I do it at night -- how can she be considered more productive? Is it because she did it 'first thing'? Well, what if I told you that actually I painted that room the night before.... or also that morning (but at 1 am). Argh. Alas, the world is prejudiced against late sleepers. It's a 9-5 world. Even in science when you can theoretically make your own hours, there's still an expectation of you being there at a certain time. Sweet, now I can fight with everyone else over whose turn it is to use the centrifuge, pcr machine, etc.

When I was back on the east coast last week for 10 days, I still slept until 10-11. Typical. But as I was talking to Ken over the phone, we figured that maybe when I got back and "gained a couple hours" that I would try getting up earlier -- since he knew how much it bothered me to be labeled as lazy (see above). Monday morning 6:30 am. No problem. Got up, watered the plants, drank coffee in my PJs... very fun. Next morning, a little harder but still pretty fun (although I was exhausted last night and went to sleep at 9:15 -- did I forget to mention that my body loves a good 8 hrs of sleep, although I have been known to go for 10-12 hours on many occasions). This morning, despite my early-to-bed thing, I woke up exhausted at 7 am. No watering plants; double the coffee. What gives? I'm only on my 3rd day and my body is revolting. What happens come this winter when there are no plants to water AND it's dark in the morning?

1 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Blogger marsha said...

I hear ya Lisa. I have even started to believe that I am lazy. Sucks. I wish there was a place with a 'special' time zone for people like me. 6am would really be 10 am.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home