Livin' la Vida Roko

Friday, November 04, 2005

"The Chicken smelled like cigarettes"

Forgot to mention that we had 10 trick-or-treaters this year. Ten. Double digits. That is more trick-or-treaters than Ken and I have had in the past 3 years... combined.

Most were small kids who clumsily stomped up the stairs while their guardian waited on the sidewalk. They came as singles or in groups of two -- all very cute and polite. Usually when I turn the corner and look out the door, I can't see anything because the kids are so tiny. But one time, there were two giant heads there -- a chicken and a sheep/egg/chicken (the latter was something white and fluffy). Their costumes covered head to toe, but you knew these kids were older. They amused me quite a bit and I gave out the candy.

As we were talking to our neighbors on the porch later, Kim remarked "the chicken smelled like cigarettes". Made me smile that they got to sneak one more year of trick-or-treating in. It made me sad when I realized I was too old. I guess that's why we pick the candy we like and watch tv with the Dots and Kit Kat wrappers strewn about.

Who says Halloween is for the kids -- I get to eat just as much candy while the costumes come to my door and we get to laugh at all the kids dressed up cute/funny/scary as they tromp through the dark and rain. Oh here's a piece of candy for your trouble.... as I close the door and take the candy bowl to snuggle with Ken on the warm couch.

2 Comments:

At 12:42 AM, Blogger Taryn said...

Lisa, you know it's not just about the candy, it's about scoring the best free candy. I've seen you at the Neuroscience meeting making a list of the booths giving away free stuff and I'm sure you had a similar manifesto for the houses in your neighborhood with the good candy.

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Julie Miller said...

hahah-yeah i agree with tj, how many years did i watch you pile up on all that free stuff--free laser pointers, free timers, etc...

yeah-i bought all of this candy and had no trick treaters-had to eat alot of it myself-then pawned it off on my neighbor, ha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home