Livin' la Vida Roko

Monday, February 13, 2006

Deep Breath

It's been busy here.

Just finished giving a presentation and am now coming down from the 'fight of flight' adrenaline rush of it. Now it's back to crazy writing so I can get my research going again. In the next two weeks, I'm writing a grant and finishing two papers. I've been working late all last week and this weekend -- then come home to see Ken, Kinley, Hughes and work on my 250 piece stained glass lamp I'm trying to put together for my last glass class on Wednesday.

I have spread myself too thin. I also have a big gash on my thumb from grinding glass. I am exhausted but happy.

Sadly though, Ken leaves today for a conference in Vegas until Thursday. Then straight to another business trip in California until Friday. He's busy too. So it's me, the animals and a ton of glass work and writing this week. Also, I'm going to sleep.* I'm feeling antisocial and like I need to hibernate for a while. Luckily, Kinley and Hughes like to hibernate too -- as long as there are ribbons & balls involved too.




*I've been staying up until 1:30-3:30am every night working on the lamp. It's all cut and I'm grinding the pieces now. I have about 5% more to grind and two sides of the lamp are already foiled (the step right before when you can solder everything together). So I'm reasonably far along with it. My glass class instructor is showing me how to put it together since they're not offering a lamp class this year (he's the instructor for it). So it's great that I got to learn so much from this class - copper foil & lead techniques as well as how to make lamp shades. I'm really enjoying glass. It's like quilting but without the sewing. Here's a picture of the lamp I'm making. I took it one night at a store window down the street and then drew the pattern based on the picture:

5 Comments:

At 12:41 AM, Blogger Kyle said...

You can slow down now . You are way out front.

That lamp look gorgeous. I have one. It was made in China.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Arthur said...

Lamp looks gorgeous.

I wish I had an end table to put it on, but alas, I am working on the whole furniture thing.

The amount of work it takes to get one of these things made by hand seems outrageous. Maybe that justifies the high price tags that I see on them.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Julie Miller said...

lisa-gorgeous lamp! i know what you mean about spreading yourself too thin-my life lately, just make sure you don't get sick-they're shit going around! try some astragulus herb-my neighbor gave me it and thus far, it seems to keep my immune system healthy.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Brian said...

Wow, Julie. You are so LA, now.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Turns out I was sick yesterday. So was the dog. And our neighbors.

Guess we all should have eaten our 'asparagus'.

The lamp just needs to have the four panels soldered together. Then it's finished. Doing that tonight in class with the instructor. Arthur, you're dead on about the cost of the pieces... the labor alone is insane not to mention the high cost of all the materials. Just the lead for my last project cost me $35. That's not including the glass, putty, whiting, frame or time. Insane.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home