Livin' la Vida Roko

Thursday, January 26, 2006

My Sweet Baby

It could be Ken. Or Kinley. Or Hughes....

but I'm talking about my beautiful new glass grinder that arrived in the mail yesterday after two patient weeks of waiting. I got the one Marsha recommended (which is also the kind we use in class). I can't wait to use it. I cut a shoebox full of glass last night in class for my second project that's just waiting to be ground.* I'm so excited to be able to do my project now on my own schedule.**

*Grinding glass is like sandpapering the edges of cut wood to make a piece of furniture. Smoothes the edges and can take off excess glass to get a piece to fit properly.

**Stained glass class has been very fun so far. It's like quilting, but with glass -- which is good since I suck at sewing. The class provides access to their tools, including grinders, but since they're only open until 6:30 on weekdays, it makes getting there after work (but before they close) to be a huge pain. And you can't quite do a project without grinding the glass. Alas, now I can do it at home on the evenings, weekends (read: whenever Kinley decides to sleep or Lisa decides she needs a break from said puppy)

3 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, Blogger Arthur said...

Is there something that a "real" glass grinder does that a Dremel won't?

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

The glass grinder has a table that produces perfect 90 degree angles -- necessary for fitting pieces of glasstogether tightly. A dremel would be more variable in the side angles. Also, a glass grinder diamond bit is constant bathed in water, allowing the bit to last anywhere from 20-50 hours. A dremel bit would build up too much heat and I expect wouldn't last as long. However, in a pinch I bet a dremel bit for glass would work just fine.

I imagine it's something similar to fixing bikes. An ordinary tool would probably work just fine, but you'll get a better connection with less work if you just buy that specialized tool that lets you do ___.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

I am definitely suffering the efects of having not brought me tools out here. Destroyed several household items so far after pressing them into service for unintended purposes.

Far cry from my move to DC where I took a stereo, some clothing, four bikes, and ALL my bike tools.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home