Livin' la Vida Roko

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Strongyloides

Behold the little guy holding Kinley's GI tract hostage:



Ken stayed home yesterday morning for puppy poop patrol; I took the afternoon shift. Poor Kinley's rectum might as well be a urethra. Ken picked up his medicine (a powder that goes on top of his food), but I think the dog feels a bit too violated and sick to eat. I used the magic trick of mixing in yogurt - his favorite - and he ate everything right up.

And then puked about 90 minutes later.

Twice.

The yogurt trick didn't work for dinnertime. Kinley has learned my sneaky trick of getting people to eat things (they think) they don't like. (Ryan Buff really likes cheese, by the way). Anyway, he puked several more times over the course of the night. I held his ears back and kept petting him, since that's what I like when I'm sick. Also tried to get something in his stomach, but he wouldn't even eat his beloved treats. Finally around 9:30 he started drinking water, ate a bit of his food around 10:30 and slept through the whole night. Ken's talking to the vet today about whether its the worms or medicine that's making him vomit. Either way, we're on it. I'm paranoid that I have worms too, since I let the dog lick me and I read they can penetrate human skin, make their way to your lungs, where you cough them up and swallow them -- thus making a happy home in your virginal GI tract. I know I've been sick and the cough is probably just coincidence, but Eeek. Gives me shivers just thinking about it.

Either way, I just didn't know a dog could puke that much.

2 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Blogger Brian said...

You should consider re-naming Kinley "Vector".

Seriously, though...I hope he gets better soon. Ollie puked for about 12 hours straight the first week we had him and I about lost my mind. I realize that's small potatos, now...

I understand people go through this sort of thing with human children on a fairly regular basis. Chalk that up as reason #5735 that I don't want any...

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Arthur said...

Just think of how soundly you would have slept if it wasn't for the Internet telling you all about weird gastrointestinal infections.

I'll go talk to the nematodes in my aquarium to see if they are relatives of Kinley's friends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home