Livin' la Vida Roko

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Mo money, mo time

I am in the middle of data analysis at work, which makes my mind wander during time off about projects around the house. Lately, I've been daydreaming about the following scenario:
If you had as much money as you wanted -- but you could only spend it doing renovations/fix ups on the house you currently have -- what would you do?
My mind has been spinning. A lot of my list involves gardening since it's February and I'm anxious to get outside. Some are projects we already have planned, some will have to wait until we have more money/time. I guess that's like everything with a house though. I'm antsy to do it all, but I'm also happy and have plenty to do. Without further adieu, here's my list:

  • Jack up the garage and put in a foundation. Surprisingly, it doesn't have one currently, which is why it is racking. Ken and I cleaned out the garage this past weekend to do this project in the coming month. That also means I get to landscape the area around it then.
  • Get the backyard property taken care of.
  • Install a fence in the backyard.
  • Remove the concrete sidewalk in the backyard to waterproof the basement. Ken did a water test and found the source of our small leak, so that's awesome. I love how his line of work helps with our house.
  • Once the basement is waterproofed from the outside, I'd like to finish the drywall in the basement. And then paint.
  • Once the sidewalk is removed to get at the waterproofing, I'm going to put in a gravel path instead. It will tie in better with the rest of the garden paths. I am actually very excited for this.
  • Remove any dead/dying trees (arborist would do this), then plant new healthy trees
  • Build an arbor/trellis/seating area at the far side of the garden where you can go out and sit. I have already transplanted the grape vine over there which will go up and over, providing shade. I'm thinking that a removable corrugated tin roof could be added during the rainy winter/spring months so it could be used more often.
  • Add rock edging around the garden paths.
  • Install garden lighting around the garden paths.
  • Install air conditioning in the house for the hot summer days. It's not hot that often, but when it is, Ken gets super fussy and I find myself wanting to lie on the basement floor to cool down. We already have forced air, so it's just a matter of putting in the compressor(?, if that's the right term)
  • Re-do the front lawn: The parking strip looks great and has drip irrigation now, but I'd like to rip out the front lawn and put in a rock retaining wall, add irrigation to the remainder and landscape the rest with perennials from the backyard. I will be doing this in the next few weeks while the soil is easily workable.
  • Paint the house and garage
  • Once the garage is fixed, take out the plastic covering the windows and make stained glass windows instead
  • Put gravel in the driveway so it's not a muddy mess
  • Dream scenario: find a place in the house to put in a second bathroom
  • Dream, dream, dream scenario: find a way to turn the attic into another room. I just want to know if we can. We don't really need the space, but I see it more as a puzzle. Imagine a spiral staircase or some "secret" passageway. Plus, then I'd get to use nooks and crannies.
  • Labels: ,

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home