Livin' la Vida Roko

Monday, March 26, 2007

Gardening Pain

I forgot to take anti-inflammatories yesterday and I am paying for it today. Here's the weekend recap:

Finished the rock wall on Saturday
Ken got another 250 pounds of basalt boulders for the wall while I went out in the rain on Saturday to finish it. The rain + clay soil + heavy rocks = me looking like I was mud wrestling a bunch of midgets. It wasn't pretty. It wasn't easy. But it is finished, thanks to Ken for coming out after he saw me struggle for a while with leveling some rocks. I was out there for 6+ hours moving rocks around. As soon as we came in, it started pouring-down rain. Perfect timing. I made dinner and breakfast for the next morning, took 3 ibuprofen and a hot shower, put on my pajamas and drank half a bottle of wine on the couch. It was 8 pm and I could barely move. Although I felt great knowing the wall was finished and that it was supposed to be partly cloudy the next day (read: upgrade from rain).

Raised the roof and installed irrigation lines on Sunday morning
I woke up early on Sunday, made my coffee and put in the "overnight french toast" to cook. After we ate, Ken and I made a quick run to a home improvement big box -- he needed wooden 4x4's and some 14-foot 2x4's so he could jack up the shed roof to fix the foundation. Meanwhile, I got 100 feet of 1/2" irrigation tubing and some adapters (elbows, T's, endcaps, etc). When we got home, we each did our own projects. I finished running the irrigation pretty quickly and took to raping the backyard for plants I could move to the front. I got pretty far along but had to take a break because...

I went to a clothing exchange on Sunday afternoon
This did not interest me at first -- except for the company. We were each supposed to bring clothes we no longer wanted (shirts, pants, suits, dresses, shoes, jewelry, etc.) I brought a bag of stuff and when I walked in the door, things were already in full swing. ~20 girls all brought their stuff, which was divided into different piles (shirts here, pants over there, etc). It was super fun and easy -- everyone just went through and got to try on what they wanted. There was plenty of alcohol and food. Plus, there were girls of all sizes with lots of different styles, so everything was different. I was surpised and left with
a quite a few long sleeved fitted t-shirts (my favorites), a big pink poofy easter skirt, two sweaters, a pair of pajama pants and 4 pairs of shoes. Everyone got a bunch of stuff. And things that nobody wanted went to Goodwill. I got home to Ken sitting on the couch exhausted because:

Ken won his flag-football game on Sunday afternoon
The Sunday TouchDowns (STDs) won yesterday, with Ken scoring two touchdowns. He was excited.

Sunday night gardening
When I got home, I went back outside to garden in the wee bit of daylight remaining. When that went away, I got my headlamp. I did a little bit of digging before I realized that it was a futile effort. Gardening isn't as fun when you can't see the colors. I went inside and we went to bed. (This is when I SHOULD have taken my anti-inflammatories, damn.)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home