Livin' la Vida Roko

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Sex and Monogamy

I attend quite a few talks a week. So far this week, I've learned about

  • how misfolded proteins may be the precipitating factor leading to a number of neurodegenerative diseases (Huntingtons, Parkinsons, Alzheimer's, polyglutamine, etc),
  • that thyroid hormone metabolites can act as inhibitors of the dopamine and norepinephrine transporters (similar to the actions of cocaine)
  • and how oxytocin gets released during sex and facilitates the formation of partner preference (i.e. monogamy).

    None of these talks are related to what I study. And I love that. It is wonderful to learn new things and be able to see parallels between the different fields of research. Since this last talk happened an hour ago, it is fresh on my mind. At the lunch following the talk, I asked the following:

    If oxytocin gets released during sex and leads to an animal preferring their sexual partner, what happens if you abolish the memory of that partner? Would the animal still show a preference for their partner, would they prefer the next male they saw, or would no partner preference be made? Short version: what's important... oxytocin, the memory or do you need both to form a 'monogamous' relationship? And flip side, if you are unconscious (or conscious but not fully lucid), can sex still lead to a release of oxytocin?

    People looked at me and laughed. I was surprised, it was a real question. I was asked how one could block the memories. Although there are a number of drugs that could do it, roofies (i.e. the date rape drug, rohypnol) immediately came to mind. Short version: nobody knows the answer. I'm still curious.

    Labels:

  • 4 Comments:

    At 3:45 PM, Blogger Brian said...

    I think you should do this study. The trick is figuring out who to pay for it.

    I would suggest applying for funding from Trojan and Jagermeister.

     
    At 3:53 PM, Blogger Brian said...

    BTW...I am envious of your seminar-attending enthusiasm. These days I'm having a hard enough time staying interested in what I'm interested in.

    It doesn't help that an unfortunate side-effect of working where I work is that most of the seminars (including the ones I'm expected to attend) don't interest me in the slightest.

    I've got to get back to a med school next time around.

     
    At 4:08 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

    Ha! Trojan and jaeger would probably love that story.

    Yes, the seminars are one of my favorite aspects of my job. I rarely went to seminars in grad school (or at least I tried to avoid talks that were too far from my research). But now that I'm learning more and more about less and less, I find 'the bigger picture' thrilling. And sometimes the "unrelated" seminars even give me ideas that I can apply to my own research.

    But mainly, I just like science (regardless of the discipline) and seeing that other people are going through the same things I am.

     
    At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Awesome awesome post Lisa.

    And good question.

    I wish Charlotte had heard of this study before her first marriage to Trey.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home