Livin' la Vida Roko

Friday, July 06, 2007

Potlatch and Friends


Karl arrived in Portland on Thursday night. We put him to work on coffee cake and the garage that night. Then, we left mid-day Friday for the Potlatch frisbee tournament in Seattle. It poured most of the way up but cleared by the time we pitched our tents on the field. Taryn and Paul arrived later that night and we hung out and drank some beer. Chuck and Dana stayed at a hotel the first night but joined us the next morning.

There were about 1000 people at Potlatch. Most camped on the fields. There were port-o-potties and nalgenes everywhere. They supplied bagels, oranges, bananas and apples for breakfast as well as some jars of PB & J for lunch. It was sunny, which was great, but that also meant it was a bit hot. I watched 3-4 games out of 5 before the heat made me a little fussy. I went to lay down and read a gardening magazine in the shade of our tent. I also took a nap. Both were nice. Frisbee was fun to watch, but seeing our friends from Tucson was by far my favorite part. Taryn and Karl are both super thin and seem to be doing great. Paul is having a hard time with his knee (just had surgery) so I imagine watching people play one of his favorite sports must have been tough. Chuck and Dana were specators like me. They watched some and went to do other things around Seattle, too.

Saturday night, the Potlatch organizers bring in ~1000 lbs of salmon. Insane. They have it at the redhook brewery, so it's all the beer you can drink. We got there just before the food lines started. We ate dinner, drank a beer or two and then went home to go to sleep. Hilarious. But awesome since we were all on the same page of what we wanted to do. I slept like a baby and didn't even hear folks roll in at 1-2 am.

Watched some games on Sunday. Chuck and Dana went to the fish ladders and then to return their rental car. Ken pulled his groin, so he went with me to pick them up. We went for breakfast/lunch at a great crepes place in Capitol hill. I had one with berries and brie cheese. Yum. I also drank a bowl of latte. After the games let out, five of us crammed in my car for the 3 hour drive back to Portland. We got sushi when we arrived then took our showers and went to bed. Karl left early the next morning; Chuck and Dana stayed the week.

Tuesday, they went down to visit Taryn and Paul and their new house in Eugene. We were sad to miss it, but had to work. Chuck and Dana left us jalapeno poppers for when we got home from work. Yum. Roasted jalapenos, shredded chicken mixture, a little cream cheese and shredded jack. Yum. I mean really yum. The best poppers I've ever had.

Wednesday was the 4th of July. We went to a Top Chef Potluck challenge. Chuck KILLED the competition and won the tastiest dish with 26 points. The next closest was a three-way tie for second -- at a measly 10 points (I was one of Chuck's losers). His enchiladas were spectacular. Ken won for "Most Patriotic" with his Red, White and Blueberry Ceviche. They both won Uncle Sam hats. We have a picture of them wearing them; I'll have to get it from Dana and post it.

Thursday, Ken and I worked. Then we all went out to dinner at Pok Pok/Whiskey Soda Lounge. It was absolutely amazing and super fun. They have thai street food that is served family style. Did I say it was fantastic? Because it was. Then we went to Pix for dessert to complete our glutton tour of Division Street. It was excellent and luxurious and decadent and fattening. We loved it.

Chuck and Dana had a coffee waiting for me when I woke up (oh happy joy), then I went off to work and they went to breakfast at Zells before their flight at 1:30. Ken stopped at the butcher shop on his way home for smoked dog bones for Kinley, some pork bellies for me, as well as a bunch of steaks for the freezer. Since he spent a certain amount of money, they gave him a free summer sausage. I can't wait to see it.

And so begins our first weekend at home in a month. We still have plenty to do -- the tomato cages, re-siding the garage and a neighbor's barbecue tomorrow, but they're all done from within 100 feet of our house. And that is wonderful. We're exhausted. I hear we're home next weekend, too. I am excited.

P.S. And speaking of exhausting and exciting, Rob and Jana are having TWINS! Congratulations!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home