Livin' la Vida Roko

Friday, November 02, 2007

VIP, by association

I leave for the neuroscience conference today. I'll be there until Tuesday and get to see a lot of good friends I made while in Arizona. Chuck, Taryn, Julie, Dave, Kristen, Caroline, Sara and Drew, among others. I also get to see my old labmates from when I was an undergraduate. And so does everyone else. This meeting is a lot like homecoming weekend for scientists. A nerdy homecoming, but homecoming nonetheless.

When we were getting ready for dodgeball last night, I heard Ken on the phone but didn't know with whom he was speaking or the nature of the conversation. When he came in the living room, he informed me that he bumped me up to first class for my trip down to San Diego today. At no cost or miles. He just flies a lot and had a guest upgrade for yours truly. I was so excited -- I jumped up and down. Literally.

I always wondered how fancy/important/wealthy a scientist needed to be to fly first class to this meeting. Now I know... none of those things, just well connected.

I can't wait. This will be the best 2h 45 min of my day.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home