Livin' la Vida Roko

Monday, December 01, 2008

Incoming

My brother arrives today. In less than 6 hours.

Meanwhile, I spent most of the long holiday weekend sleeping and working on the basement. I am doing the last corner now -- where the workshop is. I finished the three coats of drywall mud, priming and painting two coats of two different colors. Now it's just a matter of hanging the pegboard, painting that and moving my workspace over to that area.

After that, Ken is helping me frame the soffits to hide all the weird wiring, pipes, etc. There will be access panels where appropriate, but other than that, we're hoping for a sleek look in the basement (well, sleek as far as basements go, that is). We went to the Rebuilding Center on Sunday and bought reclaimed 2x4s for 0.15/foot. So for $22.50, we purchased 150 feet of wood. Pretty awesome. I'm hoping that we'll get a lot of the framing done this week/weekend so I can start installing the drywall next weekend. I wonder if Andrew likes drywall...

After that, I'll be refinishing the basement floor by acid etching the concrete (looks like stain, but penetrates better than regular concrete staining). Thanks to the Sirkins for the help on how to do it. Then it's installing the baseboards and sitting down with a beer in hand as I admire the huge transformation of the basement. I can't wait. I've been working on it since this summer. I have a feeling I still have about 6 months to go, too. Ugh.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home