Livin' la Vida Roko

Friday, May 29, 2009

22 week update

Had my 22 week appointment today. All my tests are looking good. They heard the heartbeat (145 bpm) and even heard her kicking (sounds like belching on a doppler). I couldn't feel anything when we heard the "kicking" though. Should be anytime now.

I'm in the normal weight gain range (16 lbs so far) but gained 7 of the lbs in the last four weeks alone, which is a steeper curve than I've had in the past. Still normal, but it's something to keep an eye on, especially if this rate continues (which it won't or I'll be a whale come October). It's likely due to me not being able to get enough fruit. It is my favorite thing and all I want to eat right now (along with glasses of milk). Mangos, cantaloupes, bananas, watermelons, strawberries, even prunes. Yum. I ate an entire cantaloupe in one sitting this week.

I have another ultrasound scheduled for mid-June for them to check out a couple things that are normal but may cause complicatons down the road. One is placenta previa -- the baby's placenta is covering the opening to the cervix, which means C-section if it doesn't resolve itself. Mine's mild, so they think it will be fine. Another is a golf-ball sized fibroid in my uterine wall. It's not cancerous and is surprisingly common in 50-80% of all women. I had no idea it was even there. Some grow with pregnancy hormones, some shrink with hormones and some stay the same. So they're going to check which type mine is. I wonder if mine grows with cantaloupe. If so, we may be in trouble. Again, it probably won't cause any problems but since it can cause some serious complications, they're keeping an eye on it.

In all, thing are going well. My belly is noticeably bigger. I'm still feeling good although have had trouble sleeping the past two nights due to the warmer weather combined with the snoring of a certain loved one. I get tired a lot faster than I used to. And I'm getting winded by things that never used to bother me before. Like standing. It's difficult, apparently.

So for now, everything is going as scheduled. I'm trying to get as much done now as possible since my third trimester will be in the hot summer and I won't likely won't be able want to move. Plus, you never know what will happen -- our active neighbor was confined to bed rest for the last month since the baby kicked a tear in the placenta. And one of Rachel's coworkers gave birth 6 weeks early. So you never know. I just want to have my ducks in a row so I don't have to worry about it and can just focus on eating cantaloupe (with my feet up) instead.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Blogger A-M said...

Ahhh....the 2nd trimester weight gain has started. Come week 21 I would eat and then feel like I hadn't eaten in years an hour later. For 3 mos I gained 8 pounds a month....thankfully it stopped during the last two months or I would of been even huger..

To pass the time, I thought it was fun to calculate the number of calories I had eaten extra to make me gain the weight so quickly and then imagine it in the number of B and J's pints. It was a good way to distract me from the feeling of losing control of my body. As a fellow geek I thought you might appreciate that...

hang in there...more than halfway now, that has to feel good. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home