Livin' la Vida Roko

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Pregnant Women are Smug

I had a pregnancy epiphany yesterday, thanks largely to this video which is floating around facebook.



I could totally relate to what they were saying. Those things have bothered me in the past when said by other women and I had already started the "as long as it's healthy" response to "what gender do you prefer?" I just didn't know how to respond otherwise. I suspect most first-time pregnant women don't.

So, here are my (most unsmug) answers to those pregnancy questions:

Are you finding out the sex?
Yes. I wouldn't be able to stand it otherwise. It's like having the results to a long experiment you've been working on and not looking at them sitting on the printer.

What sex are you hoping it will be?
I'm completely fine with either. I have a feeling it will be a boy due to all the testosterone in the house at that time. However, I don't know as much about boys and they don't wear fun dresses as often as girls, so I guess I'm hoping for a girl. But, if it's a girly girl princess, I don't know what I'm going to do because I have a hard time relating to that. I guess most girls go through that stage as some point regardless of how they turn out, so it's no big deal (I know I had a princess stage, Rapunzel to be exact). Ken wants a boy because he wants to play sports with him. I want to garden with her. We both know that girls can play sports and boys can garden, so we come back full circle in that we're fine with either. But I have an easier time explaining the girl's name, so then I want a girl.

Do you already have names picked out and are you telling?
Strangely enough, we've had names picked out since we were married. Way before kids were a glimmer in our eyes. I wanted to name a girl after my paternal grandmother (Katherine) and both of our moms' middle names are Marie. So if it's a girl, it would be Katherine Marie (going by Katie for short... or Kate if she preferred). As for boys, the only part I cared about was that the middle name be Standish (after my dad, brother and dad's family). I didn't want the first name to be Standish or Stan. That's when Ken asked if I'd ever be game for the name Ty. He wanted to name his son after Ty Cobb. We had just gotten married and kids weren't in the picture, so I said sure. When we found out I was pregnant, he asked "so are you still cool with the name?" How could I say no? So there you have it: Katie Marie or Ty Standish.

Do you have any fears?
I painted, drywalled and stripped floors during early pregnancy (with respirator), but I still fear for the health/froglike looks of our baby.

Are you giving birth in a hospital and/or are you doing it naturally?
Hospital and drugs, please.

Have you started the nursery?
We moved some stuff out of the room and refinished the basement floor in preparation, but that's about it. No maternity clothes shopping yet, no designing what the room will look like, no signature colors. I don't even want to think about it yet. Maybe next month. I am thankful to Rob and Jana for lending us their stroller and other goodies. And to Natascha and Emily for their maternity and baby hand-me-downs. I am excited to have a few less things to think about. If only daycare was that easy.

Are you putting your baby in daycare?
Yes. Likely 5 days a week (gasp!). I looked into going 0.75 time, but working the extra day paid for the entire week of childcare. It just wasn't worth it. I'm going to try to work from home some days, but I don't know how effective that will be. So I'm bracing myself (and our budget) for 5 days of childcare. We have looked at one place which was great but we probably won't get in. (We're on their wait list). Another place couldn't see us until July 22nd. And then it would be doubtful for us to get a spot. So, I'm freaking out in that sense because I have nowhere to take the baby when my maternity leave is over (3 months, around Jan 1). It will work out, but right now it's a little overwhelming. We're going to be looking at some more places.


I think those are the most burning questions I can think of . If you have any others, I'd be happy to answer them. I'm going to do my best to be honest and forthcoming about it all. Hopefully, I'll be one less smug pregnant woman.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, Blogger Sara said...

I love your analogy about not finding out the sex of the baby being like not looking at the data from a long experiment. So true!

Don't worry I think that you probably have too much dirt under your fingernails to be a smug pregnant lady!

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

It is spring, after all. :)

On a similar note, a friend just wrote the following bio about me for our dodgeball team. I love it:

"You are the most enthusiastic Slapper, and you always make the most of the 11 hours each day that you're awake. If you're not playing dodgeball, you're probably gardening, and your hands usually look like you just escaped your own grave. At the bar you are very friendly and outgoing. You are just as likely to begin a conversation with a stranger as you are to end a conversation with a crushingly awkward silence."

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Taryn said...

I think you are going to have a little boy who loves to garden. My brother really wanted a boy who would play sports and the guitar with him. Turns out his first son hates music and doesn't care for sports. I witnessed this last time I was visiting them when we were all in the backyard running around and throwing the frisbee. Hayden wanted nothing to do with us and spent the whole time arranging plants and cleaning up my mom's yard. The only time he showed any interest in the frisbee was when he realized that he could use it to collect flower petals which he floated on the water in the bird bath to make a nice yard decoration. I can totally see you having a similar little boy who cares more about plants and flowers than running around chasing balls and frisbees.

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous caroline said...

Great post as usual. You do know that Ty Cobb's full name was Tyrus, right? Tyrus is a great name, especially because it rhymes with Cyrus - aka the name of our next door neighbors' black schnauzer when I was growing up. When my sister and I got too loud, my mother would say: "Girls, Cyrus doesn't care."

Let's get to the real point though: did you really take Gear off the list of names? ;)

xoxo to you and the impending roko!

ps: the security word for this comment is "shistea." don't you just want to take that and run with it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home