Livin' la Vida Roko

Friday, April 29, 2005

It was the best of times....

I've been putting off writing this post. I haven't quite known what to write.

Our lab lost its funding.

They just laid off two people today. A tech and an undergrad helper. Now there are three postdocs left (myself included), a grad student (living with us who is finishing soon) and two professors (head honcho and an assistant professor who works in the lab). I asked if I should start looking for other labs and was told this morning that I should be fine because the grant I got covers my salary (for a year), but that they are crunching the numbers and we should have a better idea next week.

I don't know what to do. I can easily change labs -- haven't gotten that far on my project in that I wouldn't lose that much if I leave now. I've been in the lab six months: I've learned westerns pretty well and the 'joys' of antibodies, but I haven't learned much in terms of other molecular biology techniques.

The lab wasn't like this when I applied a year ago. A year ago they had three grants (including the longest-running renewed grant at the U of Washington - when they were there a short 3 years ago before they moved to Portland). When I were interviewing, they were submitting another application such that they were renewing two-three of them this past year.

All were turned down.

So the grants end in July with money likely running out shortly before then -- the lab will be resubmitting in July (meaning IF it gets funded there's no money until late this year, early next... so it will be a year of hard times... at least a year.) The upshot is our lab advisor is also the Vice-President of Research for the entire institution -- meaning if there are little stashes of money here or there, I'm sure he'll find them. I've also heard a rumor that OHSU covers labs that lose their funding for up to three years. I don't know the merit to this statement. However, the lab belt has tightened. It's palpable.

I've started washing out 96-well plates, washing falcon tubes, plastic pasteur pipets. Trying to reuse as much as possible so I can use my aliquot of supply money on things I actually need -- basic media to grow my cells, antibodies, recombinant proteins for treatments.

But do I want to live like this? What's the point of working in a lab doing research if I can't afford to do my research. Seems like it would make it that much more difficult to get MY grant renewed. And what if my grant doesn't get renewed next year -- then I'm stuck working in a lab that doesn't have money for me. No money = no job. Then that means that I'm on a 1 year commitment to stay in science to 'repay' the grant I got. If I don't want to pay out of pocket (and I don't), that may mean starting in a new lab afterall. Argh.

So what do I do?

6 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger Julie Miller said...

lisa- oooh, that funding situation is shitty- i know a lot of labs in which the grants are not getting renewed and b/c of that stupid payback provision in the kirchstein award you have to do another year....well, my advice would be not to panic yet- see what your boss says- maybe they will be able to find money and cover you for another year, as long as you have other labs there you are interested in, i wouldn't get neurotic yet....jules

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Ken said...

Thin of it this way, the tech and the undergrad helper weren't afforded any time to react and plan to this situation. They were laid off and now have to scramble. You on the other hand have the benefit of time (ie. you've secured funding until at least next April) and can explore many, many options. Most people don't have that type of luxury.

You went out and secured funding for yourself, and you're being rewarded for this in the form of job security. Now you've the enviable chance to do it again....and perhaps on a grander scale.

I, for one, am proud of you for putting yourself in this position. Well done.

 
At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Switch labs, your time is money. If your washing disposable plastic wear your wasting your time. Your going to be the most productive you'll ever be in the next 3-5 years, don't waste it in funding limbo.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger marsha said...

Not that this helps - but it is going to be tough no matter where you go b/c of the cuts. Even so, I'd high tail it out of there. I find myself in the same situation and I cannot get anything done b/c there is no money for simple things like gloves and tubes. You can't work like that. And there's no guarantee that the grant will be funded on resubmission.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Thank you to everybody who has given advice, both through this site as well as those who have written me directly. The accountant-people upstairs are running the numbers and we should hear later this week what it all means.

Worst case scenario, I look for another job. This is a huge research institution, so I don't think I'll have any trouble finding another lab (especially since I have my own funding for a year). However, we'll see what they say later this week and then I can better gauge the situation.

Marsha, I didn't know your lab was going through the same thing. I knew the grant wasn't renewed and some people were laid off, but that was a couple months ago. How are things looking now? Are grants getting resubmitted/renewed/are more people leaving/ what is it like working with minimal supplies? How do you balance research vs money?

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger marsha said...

the grant was resubmitted - but we have no idea if we will get it. it had to be cut down significantly - so even if we do get it, it still doesn't cover everything that is suppose to get done (including having people to work on stuff). we can't order stuff unless critical. it's blessing in disguise for me - i get to finish by next sept.

carol has applied for bridging funds in the meantime. but even with that, people are being asked to leave.

no tech support + no supplies = no research. i'll get by b/c i have to. you shouldn't take the same chance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home