Livin' la Vida Roko

Monday, November 07, 2005

Mmmm.... Yeasty

I've been afraid of yeast ever since I invited Kyle and Taryn over for dinner about 6 years ago. I made pizza. The dough was hard as a brick and I made the mistake of using cheddar cheese. I have yet to live this horrible pizza down.

However, when we went to Mrs. Church's for dinner one night when Rob was passing through town, she made the most wonderful rolls. I was amazed. She gave me the recipe, which I have been too scared to try -- until last night.

The yeast didn't bubble like she said it was and I was terrified that I'd already made a mistake. I let it sit and waited. I couldn't believe it when I came back and it had risen. I was so excited. Long story short: we had rolls last night! They weren't even close to being as great as hers, but they were good for a first pass.

Bread baking is like a cult. I'm not there yet, but I think I'm beginning to understand why people love baking bread so much.

4 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Blogger Kyle said...

Cheddar cheese on a pizza?!?!

Who-wha ?

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am a little afraid of the rolls. Perhaps just to intimidation of how tasty they are...btw, the same dough makes fantastic cinnamon rolls. Rob

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

that's what I am eating now! made half regular rolls, half cinnamon rolls. yum

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Taryn said...

I had forgotten about that pizza - is that where your nickname came from? If so I never got it. I have discovered that cheddar cheese actually goes well on bbq chicken pizza.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home