Livin' la Vida Roko

Friday, November 11, 2005

That was fast

I am addicted to bread. I can't stop thinking about it -- making bread/rolls & other yeast-based products. My attempt at pizza dough the other night didn't work since I inadvertantly used the only unlabeled bag in our pantry -- which I thought was whole wheat bread flour but turned out to be whole wheat pastry flour (which has too low of protein to produce sufficient gluten formation, i.e. the stuff that gives bread good texture. Result: the dough barely rose and was dense as a rock when baked.

I was struck with the urge to try Mrs. Church's roll recipe again last night while Ken was at frisbee (8-10ish). So interested, in fact, I actually walked to the grocery store last night in my pajamas to buy bread flour, yeast, mozzarella cheese and milk. I made the dough last night and let it rise in the fridge overnight. I rolled out the rolls this morning and also made cinnamon rolls to bake off tomorrow morning -- coffee+Ken+cinnamon rolls+morning paper= happy lisa.

Now hopefully, I won't contaminate my cells in the lab with all of this yeast I'm playing with at home... please don't let me be a walking yeast Pigpen.

1 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a bizzare factoid Lisa,I only tell you this because of your amusing pigpen comparison....

You should avoid chameleons and other lizards. They apparently are easily invaded by yeast, and have a hell of time fighting them off. They eventually bloat and die from CO2 production. That's what a vet told me at least...

I happen to know this because I killed a girlfriend's chameleon because of the yeast I was trafficking about (from working with damned flies).

-chuck

 

Post a Comment

<< Home