Livin' la Vida Roko

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

WANTED: New home page

I'm growing more and more tired of Yahoo as my home page when I open up my web browser. Now Yahoo has rigged it such that when you enter their site and start typing in a new web address in the address bar or any search in the Google tool bar, the cursor is automatically drawn to Yahoo's search field which inevitably, albeit artificially, increases their search hits. That's right Yahoo!, I don't want you controlling my browsing!!!!!!! You know where you can your exclamation point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I am posing a challenge to all of you trusted readers out there. I am looking for a new home page from which to draw he latest news, sports, whatever and am taking suggestions starting right now. All suggestions will be tried out for at least a day starting tomorrow and in order of entry (unless it's something raunchy that I can't open up at work in which case I'll try it out at home ;) ).

I'll post a follow up with the results once the entries have subsided.

So let's see what you got!!!!

7 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Blogger Brian said...

Gmail is my home page.

My favorites bar includes that, Entrez Pubmed (something you won't need), the AZ Health Science Library (ditto), Dictionary.com (I'm a lousy speller), Wikipedia, and Google News. I'd recommend either of the last two for what you've requested.

I'm pretty sure Google News can be customized to some degree for your particular interests, though I've never bothered...

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Ken said...

OK, I said this would start tomorrow, but let's start it off today.

news.google.com You're up first

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger D said...

I use cnn.com but it's not that great. Google news is nice cause you can customize it and it updates often.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Arthur said...

I still like how much I can customize MyYahoo. I am not sure what else out there compares to it as a page that delivers the news and sports in a reasonable manner. Since my email is also through Yahoo, it is nice to be able to see the mail in my Inbox in my start page.
I typically have multiple windows open, and I just have the browser remember where I was when I last quit. So in that vein, I guess I don't really have a "start" page.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

Arthur, I am glad to see you are still challenging the common stereotype of Asians as good at math and computers.

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.sweetjesusihatebilloreilly.com/

is what I'm currently using...

-chuck

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Arthur said...

Here we go:

http://www.google.com/ig

Google's personalized home page.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home