Livin' la Vida Roko

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Bacon Update

I started curing the 6.36 lbs of pork bellies last friday (12/1). The butcher sawed the frozen bellies into two slabs of roughly 3 lbs each. I put each in a gallon-sized reclosable plastic bag and added the cures.

Pork Belly #1: Honey cure, very similar to Emeril's recipe
3 cups salt
1 cup honey
1 cup sugar

Pork Belly #2: Brown sugar cure
3 cups salt
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup molasses
2 bay leaves
1 T ground black pepper

The bags of pork bellies were placed in a 13x9" pan to catch any errant drips and put in the fridge, turned once or twice a day for even marinating. It is now Tuesday, so beginning the 5th day of curing. The brown sugar-cured belly is getting quite hard and lots of juices have been pulled from the meat and mixed with the sugar/salt. It actually looks quite beautiful, especially with the specks of black pepper. In contrast, the meat in the honey cure is much softer when you press on it and a lot less juice has been pulled off -- despite it being a slightly bigger piece. I added a bit more salt to the honey cure bag this morning before work and placed it back in the fridge. Perhaps there just wasn't enough salt to cure it. In hindsight, I should have put the cure ingredients in two pans and heated them to form a solution, then cooled them before pouring over the meat. Instead, I have a gritty heterogenous mess. Apparently clumps of honey do not mix well with sugar or salt when they are cold, FYI.

I bought a smoker over the weekend for $25. It is an electric one and the guy from whom I bought it cured all of his salmon in it. He owned two of the same kind. I trust him -- just look at all of his fishing gear in the picture! Anyway, most of my experience is with the vertical water smokers so I am a little skeptical about the electric kind. But if Alton Brown can make a smoker out of a cardboard box and a fan, how difficult can electric smoking really be. (Side note: when I was searching for the link of his smoker contraption, I found his recipe for making bacon that uses a cure similar to the brown sugar one above.)

When I got the smoker home, I was excited to smoke some meatballs for dinner that night. I plugged it in but it wouldn't work. Instead it just tripped every fuse it came in contact with. I was very sad. I called the guy from whom I bought it to ask if he knew what to do. No answer. Grrrr. Did I get ripped off? It was only $25, but still. The next day he called me back -- turns out he left his phone in the car that night and was very apologetic. He told me that it needs to be plugged in to a high voltage outlet (think washer/dryer) for it to work. Kind of a pain in the ass, but I'll try it. Then he said if it doesn't work for any reason, he'll mail me my money back -- no problem. So that's what I'm going to try next. I wonder if this is why electric smokers aren't more popular... they need all sorts of fancy outlets? Either that, or the fact that vertical water smokers are cheaper and under $50. Plus, it seems most folks who want to smoke food also like tending the fire. Me, I'd rather make more food while I smoke food. Anyway, this is where I am now. I figure I'll start the smoking on Saturday, if I can stand waiting that long. According to most websites, the meat needs to sit out an hour under a fan for a pellicle to form (that's fancy speak for a "skin", like on the top of pudding when it cools). The meat then needs to smoke for 4-6 hours (the internal temperature shouldn't get higher than 80 degrees). Then cool for an hour and slice. Put it in the fridge/freezer, cook and eat.

1 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, Blogger Arthur said...

Sometimes, washer/dryer plugs are different shapes than the standard three prong plug. The difference is that they are plugged into higher amped fuses and are wired with thicker gauge wire to handle more current.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home