Livin' la Vida Roko

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Walnuts

Brian called the other night asking if I wanted a 50 lb sack of walnuts. A ridiculous question since the answer is most obviously 'yes'. When I got back from Wednesday Widow night, there was the burlap sack on the front porch filled with walnuts.


I spent 2 hours shucking on Thursday and ate most that I shucked. I tried again last night and now our kitchen looks like a walnut bomb exploded. Shells everywhere. Kinley and Hughes are very curious but haven't eaten anything that's fallen on the ground. I'm proud of them. I have.

I spent most of last night shucking and I only have about 1/8th of the bag to go. I sat on the living room floor, watching the football game. Kinley got excited and stepped on the bowl of cracked walnuts, sending them flying across the room. I screamed like a banshee, which scared the bejeezus out of him. He hasn't come near the walnuts since.

You'd think a 50 lb sack of walnuts would produce lots and lots of walnuts. But that would be a vicious lie. All of my work last night produced just 10 cups of walnuts. 8 cups of which I gave to Marne for her to make a walnut pie. The rest I'm keeping and freezing. If I don't eat them first.

1 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger K said...

You are nuts!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home