Livin' la Vida Roko

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Cervical Cancer

A friend of mine was just diagnosed with the early stages of cervical cancer. They're doing a cone biopsy today to see how deep the cancer goes but REGARDLESS of the results, they're doing a hysterectomy.

A hysterectomy? Seriously?

No mention of chemo or radiation. Apparently this is the way they treat it. I find it completely mind-boggling. She's 29 and found out two weeks ago. Ugh. She's doing well with it so far and her boyfriend is being very supportive. I am not doing so well with it. It bothers me quite a bit. I work on hormones and cancer cells yet she's the one with cancer. I also want to have children at some point but have put it off until we're ready. Hearing that having children is no longer an option would be crushing.

She's a strong girl and will likely handle this all very quietly. We'll be here to give support, but I doubt she'll take much help. I will bring them food tonight since I don't know what else to do. I still can't believe the only treatment for early cervical cancer is a hysterectomy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home