Livin' la Vida Roko

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Tram to Work


I have been biking to work for a year and a half now. It's 7 miles a day -- 2 miles from our house to downtown where I catch the bus. I put my bike on the front of the bus since there is a giant hill separating me and work. I am not a morning person and I am lazy. The chances of me riding up that hill are slim to none. However, I will ride down the giant hill at the end of the day (super fun) and ride the 5 miles home.

Between waiting for the bus and the time riding the bus, I've gotten in a rhythym where I can drink my coffee and read the morning paper. It takes a while. The coffee/paper part is fun, but the waiting sucks. And if the two bike slots on the front of the bus are already taken, you're SOL and forced to wait for the next bus.

But they just opened the tram to employees last week -- meaning I now get to ride the tram to the top of the hill instead of the bus. Plus it cuts 10-15 minutes off my morning commute. So now I ride the 2 miles downtown and take the scenic (but empty in the morning) downtown esplenade along the river. It's flat the whole way and leads me directly to the tram; which runs every 3 minutes. They let me take my bike inside and I get to start my day by flying over I-5 with awesome views of the city, Mt. St. Helens and Mt Hood (shown in the picture above).

5 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

Wow. That sounds awesome.

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Taryn said...

Sweet. Sounds a lot less motion sickness inducing than the bus up the curvy roads.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Caroline said...

It's like you're going skiing every day, except when you get to the top you have to go to work. Still looks pretty fun!

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Arthur said...

Is there room in the tram for other people when you have the bike on board? Or do they get to wait for the next tram?

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

The tram holds 78 people at a time and there are two trams -- so they come once every three minutes.

Bikes are allowed on at the same time as people -- there were two bikes and about 12 people this morning. Plus, it turns out that I'm the biker in the tram training video -- I just happened to be getting on yesterday and they asked if they could film me so they could teach future tram operators what to do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home