Livin' la Vida Roko

Thursday, January 22, 2009

First Class Recap

In short, it went well. I have 6 kids in my class, one was absent last night due to the flu. The class is offered to kids ages 12-18. I have 6 kids under the age of 13.
I forgot how much they talk.

About everything.

And all the time.

We'll be mixing flour and water together when one gets my undivided attention to tell me "My mom makes brownies with spinach". Um, ok. I can't remember all of the quotes, but they were hilarious. I repeated as many to Ken as I could remember when I got home.

Some of my favorite moments of the night:
  • "My mom makes brownies with spinach"
  • "I don't like yeast; they smell like corn"
  • "I don't like corn, only baby corn"
  • "Me too!"
  • "Look!" ( I look over to see one of them holding a bloody stump of a tooth.)
  • "I don't like star fruit"
  • "Cooking is in my blood"
  • "I thought it was because of color but it was the mineral content"
  • "I don't like heat"
  • "She's afraid of the oven"
  • "Can I take all the dough home so I can show it to my grandpa?"
  • "I dropped mine on the floor"
  • "Onions are gross"
  • "I want to make cake"
  • "and then...." (options endless)
The pretzels turned out great. They LOVED topping them with various things (I had salt, parmesan cheese and cinnamon sugar). I think they dumped cinnamon sugar on practically every pretzel. Each kid got to eat pretzels at the end of class as well as take theirs home. Even moms got to have a pretzel when they came to pick up their kids. Note: bribing moms with food is as effective as bribing kids with food. Plus, it was fun to meet the moms.

Next week, we make calzones. Requested pizza toppings: pineapple and pepperoni.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so awesome Lisa! Mind if I steal your lesson plans for when TJ is a little older? I can't wait to cook with him. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home