Livin' la Vida Roko

Friday, May 29, 2009

For the Love of Craigslist and Google Reader

I know that we'll need some baby items in the next few months. I've been previously putting it off because massive amounts of stuff seems counter-intuitive to what a baby needs in its most basic sense. That, combined with the fact that registering at a baby big-box to pay full price for a new what-sa-whooz-it that I'll only use for a few months makes me insane.

No, thank you. So instead, I've just put things off. Not a good strategy either.

I have some hand-me-downs coming my way (thanks Rob & Jana and Natascha!) and discovered the joys of second-hand maternity shops, where you can get anything for mom or baby at a fraction of the cost. I got some advice from parents on items that are actually helpful to have and started looking on craigslist for them. But it's pretty time-consuming to do the same searches day after day.

Then I discovered the RSS feed option on craigslist that links directly to your Google Reader account. I put in all of my search terms for the 5 or so items I'm looking for. Then, whenever those terms come up, I get an updated list on my Google Reader acct on which items are available without having to search Craigslist postings.

This was the method by which we were able to get our first piece of baby furniture last night at a fraction of the retail cost. I was very excited. What is it? A pack and play. Yes, this what-sa-whooz-it is a baby dumping ground play area, bassinet and changing table. Basically, it allows me to put the baby down without it rolling down the basement stairs or getting licked by the dog, it gives me a place to change the baby without hauling us all up a flight of stairs and it serves as a place where the baby can sleep right next to us until we figure things out (or are travelling -- since it packs up to the size of a tent).

Best of all, I just picked one and went with it. Mostly based on location of the seller than on style of the piece. Even better since there are less decorating or "color scheme" decisions for me to make, which I find overwhelming.



More pieces to come, but I love this easy way of letting deals come to me. Next on the list: crib, car seat and changing table for upstairs.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home