Livin' la Vida Roko

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

What's my hurry

I have been uninterested in wanting to decorate or get ready for the baby. Just not on my priority list. Painting windows and installing moulding seemed more fun. But then the heat wave must have kicked some hormones into overdrive because I started freaking out the past two weeks. I've been looking at google reader incessantly in an effort to find all of the bigger items needed to get things ready for the baby.

For example, we got a car seat/stroller combo on craigslist last night. We'll be getting the Bob stroller from Rob and Jana for all of our off-roading needs, but since we needed a carseat, we decided to get the one that can be easily moved between applications (i.e. car, stroller, house without disturbing the baby). We got the one recommended by three friends who just had kids. I'm excited to have both strollers because the people who sold us this last night were selling it in order to get the Bob for their outdoor excursions with their now older and bigger baby.

On the way home, Ken asked "so what's the rush all of a sudden? the baby's 4 months away." He's right. He also accurately pointed out that this all seemed to come on recently. I listed off the following irrational reasons that have no bearing on us "needing" to get a stroller yesterday:
  • I was hot and miserable this past weekend and I'm trying to get it all finished before it's really hot this summer and I don't want to move
  • My legs/feet were sore this weekend so what if I'm not able to walk well in my third trimester
  • But Jessica B. said to get as much finished before the 3rd trimester so you can relax
  • What if I'm on bed rest for the last month like our neighbor -- and she was in great shape and very active.
  • What if the baby comes 6 weeks early like Rachel's friend's did.
  • I don't want to leave it all until the last minute and then rush around. Does it matter when we get it?
  • But on craigslist you have to act when you see it (we got it at a fraction of the price for a new one)
None of these reasons are particularly compelling, but in all they add up to my recent flurry of activity. And yes, I feel insane and embarrassed for having a stroller in my house 4 months in advance.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger Natascha said...

At least it folds easily and can be tucked away in a closet. :)

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Never mind the rush, what's with all the equipment? Isn't she just going to sit on your lap while you drive, the way god intended?

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger A-M said...

I felt the same way, it doesn't help that I love to organize anyway. Kevin says I nest all the time and when I was pregnant it just got much worse.

The problem with getting it all done early is that is the baby is late you will be BORED OUT OF YOUR MIND, which I was. Make sure you save some non-essential fun crafty stuff for the end that you can manage in your large and encumbered state. I made pillows out of fabric scraps but couldn't actually sew for more than a few minutes at a time since the vibrations of the sewing machine irritated my carpal tunnel....

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Mischala said...

I"m not sure what you are making all the excuses for. If you know what you want and it shows up on Craigslist and you have the room for it now, get it - heck, it might take 4 months just to figure out how to convert some of those things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home