Livin' la Vida Roko

Monday, November 08, 2004

You can buy everything online

I love the internets. You can do anything. This morning I bought all my stamps for the holidays and beyond from the USPS online -- no lines, huge selection and they deliver them to you in two days for a dollar. Wow.

Also, Rachel has told me for a while now about the produce delivery her house gets. Organic produce grown locally that is delivered to your door once a week (or biweekly, if you prefer). Items change weekly and the box contents are posted online so you can change out items you don't like. Wow. Although I love going to the grocery store and farmer's markets, this option is amazing because it forces me to try new things and cook with ingredients with which I may not be familiar. Kale? Chard? Fuyu persimmons? Unfortunately (and not surprisingly), Tucson didn't offer this kind of luxury. The heat... the desert... not very conducive to leaving a wide array of fresh local produce on your doorstep (for the record though, Tucson does have some good farmer's markets). Behold -- Portland has produce delivery (actually three different companies here do it) and is yet another reason why I'm enjoying this town so much.

We'd probably get the small box -- $28 -- more expensive than what I typically buy in produce, but the convenience (imagine my happiness of coming home to a big box of produce that I can use for dinner that night and beyond), quality and novelty make up for it. Hip hop hooray for Burke talking me into the greatness of covered porches in Portland. Enjoying a beer and persimmon on the front porch. Oooooh.

Yet another reason I can't wait to get into the house.

-L

1 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Blogger Arthur said...

So how long until you set up the webcam in the kitchen and start broadcasting Iron Chef - Lisa in Portland?

Watch out for buying stuff from the Internet. Pretty soon, you won't be leaving the house. Especially since you could probably get pizza and groceries (the stuff other than vegetables) on the Internet too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home