Livin' la Vida Roko

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Fashion-ably inept!!!!!!!!!!

My friend Eddie used to say (and still says) that the first thing people notice when they meet you is your shoes. I always used to think, "What the heck is he talking about?". Well, something occured to me today while making a short shopping trip on my 'lunch' break. How is it possible that a 31 year old (ouch, did I write that??) professional male hadn't purchased a pair of brown shoes in his life until today. I think everyone I know has had a pair of brown shoes at some point in their life, including childhood. I truly can't remember EVER wearing a pair (with the exception of my hiking boots). It may not seem too weird to anyone else, perhaps just to me. Nonetheless, there's a new pair of brown Skechers in the car waiting to go home. WOOHOO!!!!!!!

I'm starting to settle in at work. Had a sit down with the two head honchos here and I'm getting a project that's very similar to the stuff I used to do in NYC, roofing. One of the guys made it explicitly clear to me that this is a project for which no one in the office can provide me support. No one here has the expertise. He also made it clear that this is an important project for our biggest client. Should any project with this client go south, the firm is done.....literally. Should it prove successful, we'll be great. Yikes, pressure is on already.

Oddly enough, I have no worries about the project. This kind of stuff is easy. Am I overly confident? I don't think so, just very confident in my abilities on these types of projects.

What throws up the red flag to me is putting all of your eggs in one basket. Relying that much on one client is incredibly risky. And then claiming that if one project goes south with this client, they won't hesitate to drop us is a bit alarming, but it also keeps you on your toes. We'll see how it goes. I guess that's part of my responsibilities, expanding our expertise and client base. For now, they've placed a lot of trust in me and that's something to which I'm completely accustomed.

2 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Blogger Arthur said...

Fashion note to self:

The shoes should match the belt. Hence, brown belt with brown shoes. Black belt with, well, you get the idea. Of course, knowing this doesn't mean that I have never committed this fashion faux-pas.

So how many people can you push around in order to get the job done? You are right about just having the one client - it is kind of scary. Doesn't the Business Development part of the company go out and look for other customers? Or is it that this company is so big that they are taking up all the resources of the company already?

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Ken said...

Well, they aren't the only client. We just happen to get a ton of work from them. I think the work started out relatively small, but has just snowballed since. We're trying to expand our client base, that's for sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home