Livin' la Vida Roko

Monday, February 28, 2005

Weeding and Seeding

I have spent many hours weeding the front lawn. It was up to 80% pure weeds in some areas. I have been pulling them out by the taproots for three weeks now. My hands just hurt. However, I've met a ton of neighbors and people walking by. Most have been very friendly although my worst person saw my struggles yet still said "if you keep pulling them up, you'll have nothing left." Grrr.

Anyway, the weeds are up and it's supposed to shower all week. Perfect timing. So this morning I laid my fertilizer and the grass seed. I'm so excited.

As a side note, I've been watching This Old House and some other fixer type shows. In one episode I saw, they laid grass seed and first prepared the soil with a fertilizer high in the middle number. I've never been too good with knowing what each NPK ratio means. I looked it up this morning for all you trusty blog readers.

Per Dave's Garden: These numbers represent the percentage of Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium (N-P-K) contained in fertilizer. Nitrogen (always the first number) is important to stimulate growth rate and to "green up" the foliage so that it can process nutrients more efficiently. Phosphorus, the middle number, stimulates root growth. And Potassium, the last number, stimulates flowering and fruiting.

Good to know. In case you were wondering, the fertilizer mix I used was a slow release 20-27-5. 7 days to germination.

1 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Be glad you don't live in the rural areas near Seattle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home