Livin' la Vida Roko

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Where does loyalty lie?

I'm a sports fan. Have you noticed? It's a part of me. I watch it a lot, especially football, March Madness, playoff times, Olympics, etc.

There are teams that I like and have liked for some time:

Baseball - Yankees c.1977
Football - Vikings c.1987
Hockey - Islanders c.1980
Basketball - Jazz c.1990

There were reasons back then for why I started to like these teams and it usually had to do with admiring one or two of the players. But what happens when those players leave, get traded or retire. Should my loyalty go with the player or stay with the team?

You may be asking what brought this up. I look at the Utah Jazz and I can't find anything I like about this team. I recognize the names but I don't have that fire stirred up within me when I see them play. What am I doing rooting for them? Should I even consider myself a Jazz fan if I don't really care if they win or lose? Should I even consider myself a basketball fan at all?

And about the Vikings. They were recently sold and, if not given a new stadium, might possibly be Los Angeles bound. This may or may not happen but should I feel some sort of obligation to root for the LA Vikings? COULD I root for the LA Vikings?

I just not so sure I can do that.

HMMMMM......perhaps I should auction off my fan loyalty on eBay. Bet that would fetch a nickel or two.

3 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not that this applies in anyway to your post...but thanks for the nifty Valentine's postcard. LOL funny. I'm going to pin it to my wall so that my mom gets to see it when she comes by this weekend.
-chuck

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Kyle said...

Yep - I also loved the postcard. Tres rad.

I think now is the perfect time to become a Jazz fan. If you don't mind the pain. As is typical, they can't retain high-profile players because black people do not want to live in Utah.

It is tough to find a black BBall player who likes driving trucks and hunting as much as Karl did.

In this, league, that makes them a perrenial underdog.

Plus they have a great coach.

I am praying the new owner moves the Vikings to Tucson. There are plenty of Minnesotans down here.

Can I pay you twenty bucks for your Yankees loyalty and then burn it in a public ceremony ala Cubs fans?

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Vikings in Tucson would be awesome.

Vikings in Phoenix and Cardinals in LA would be pretty OK, too.

I'll match Kyle's contribution for your Yankee loyalty.

Oh, yeah, the postcard rocked...I was wondering what that was called...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home