Livin' la Vida Roko

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

The Strings Attached

I got that training grant, which I'm very happy about since the lab's grant wasn't renewed this time (or last time -- yikes). I would have been a little nervous since I'm at the bottom of the lab totem pole, but I'm safe for at least a year now. However it does mean that in the next year I have to get some good data and apply for another grant (or try to get this one renewed). But here's the kicker:


I. Service Requirement In accepting a Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award to support my postdoctoral researchtraining, I understand that my first 12 months of Kirschstein−NRSA Individual Fellowship support forpostdoctoral research training carries with it a payback obligation. I hereby agree to engage in a month of health-related research, health-related research training, or health-related teaching for each month I receive aKirschstein−NRSA Individual Fellowship for postdoctoralresearch training up to and including 12 months or, if I receive a Kirschstein−NRSA Individual Fellowship forpostdoctoral research training for more than 12 months, Iagree that the 13th month and each subsequent month ofKirschstein-NRSA-supported postdoctoral researchtraining will satisfy a month of my payback obligationincurred in the first 12 months. This service shall beinitiated within 2 years after termination ofKirschstein−NRSA support. The research or teachingshall be on a continuous basis and shall average more than 20 hours per week of a full work year. II.
Payback Provisions: I understand that if I fail to undertake or perform such service in accordance with Section I above, the United States will be entitled to recover from me an amount determined in accordance with the following formula:
A = F [(t-s)/t]
where “A” is the amount the United States is entitled torecover; “F ” is the sum of the total amount paid to meunder the initial 12 months of my postdoctoral Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award support; “t”is the total number of months in my service obligation; and“s” is the number of months of such obligation served.....
Signature: _____________________________________________
Date: ____________________________

Behold, the payback agreement form saying I have to stay in science doing research for a year after my training grant is over. So that job at OMSI looks further away than what I once thought. Although I hate being told what to do, I'm kind of OK with the arrangement. In fact, I've temporarily gotten over the "what am I going to do with my life". I'm just sort of at peace now. I have a job. Given it's not my dream job, but it pays the bills, is interesting enough and allows me a lot of freedom to decide how I spend my day. In return for not being fully happy from 9-5, I get to have a house I adore, a loving husband with whom I can spend my evenings and some sweet little blueberry bushes in the backyard with which I can make pancakes on the weekends. So who's to say a person has to have everything to be happy? Rachel's always said that at any one point a person's going to be complaining about at least one of the following:
    a. finding a place to live
    b. finding a person to love
    c. finding a job you like

Was Meatloaf right?

5 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Blogger Arthur said...

I don't understand why a job at OMSI doesn't count as health related teaching.

As for dream job, does it really exist? I know that NPR has stories that it airs of people who suddenly switch jobs to follow their dreams. However, that usually entails consequences to the other aspects of their lives - whether it be a house, a loved one, etc.

I always knew that in the end, you had to make a decision to find a job that you liked and would work hours on end for it with no other activities, or find a job that pays enough to let you do all those other activities that you enjoy. I guess when the idea of compromise has been around since the beginning, it is easier to handle or deal with now.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

Speak for yourself.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Julie Miller said...

Hi Lisa, congrats on getting the grant, yeah- I had to sign that payback provision for UCLA for the training grant I will be on- a little scary, I don't want to pay them money but that means we just have to work 2 years...I am a bit of a cynic- I don't know if you can have love, a job you love, and a place you love- maybe people who are lucky can. But I also think that there are more important things in life than work and it's good to have a healthy balance. Yeah- I agree with Arthur- I don't know if a dream job exists, there seems to always be something that you don't like about it, but I guess we just have to accept that and do what we feel passionate about.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Arthur said...

I have to admit that being a grad student was as pretty close to a dream job as I could ever imagine. Too bad about this growing up thing.
I wish I could say that I was off making my fortunes abroad so I could someday return to grad school in something else. But I imagine that growing up is typically a one way street. Still, it is in the back of my mind.
Consider this - if you had enough money to not work and live reasonable well, what would you do? Sadly, I would probably end up going back to school and learning fun stuff - like cooking, history, more economics...

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger marsha said...

I'm with you Arthur. If I had the means I'd be a professional student and stained glass artist. Sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home