Livin' la Vida Roko

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Rain rain go away...

We've had a really mild winter this year. Sunny & warm with just a little bit of rain. No complaints on my end, but people were thinking about the looming drought this summer. (And I thought we moved away from the desert.) However, worries seem to have subsided(per the Oregonian's article on Sunday morning). Now combine that with the inch of rain we've had since Sunday at 5pm... yep, things are looking fine for this summer.

As Ken mentioned in the previous post, we've put in a trellis under the deck to hide the shady/stony mess.... worked Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday. The rain started to pour right as we were hanging the last lattice. We were drenched by the end of it and standing in giant mud puddles. The flower beds that were formed by the lattice never got filled in. Nor were the flowers planted. It's been too wet. Like playing with mudcakes. Fine when I was little, but cementing plants into place isn't good for the roots. Alas, I have to wait until things dry out (presumably by Thursday afternoon/Friday).

The good news about all this rain is three-fold: 1. The garden we planted last week received a great soaking these past few days and many of the seeds have sprouted; 2. the yard that I weeded and reseeded now also has great sprouts that will likely take hold -- giving us green grass by summertime; 3. and most importantly, our basement hasn't leaked despite all this rain. Good work Ken! (Meanwhile the neighbor behind us has a tell-tale tarp up on the side of his house and roofers were going to town in the drizzle this morning).

So I'm looking forward to later this week and then the weekend. It should be sunny these next few days, meaning hopefully I can get the dirt and flowers in on Thursday/Friday before the next wave of rain hits next week. And yes, I'm still a sucker:
Free geraniums
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: (deleted)
Date: 2005-05-10, 3:49PM PDT

with purple flowers, evergreen, easy care, fast spreading! you dig, I will provide shovel!

this is in or around far NW

I get to pick some up this weekend. Perfect for the beds around the deck (low maintenance & evergreen). Although the 'fast spreading' part makes me a little nervous. Are these ivy geraniums? I've haven't heard of this type before. Anyone know?

1 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

you should see the shady, stony mess on my coffee table.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home