Livin' la Vida Roko

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

And my head spinneth around

It is 3:30 pm. Right around now comes the late afternoon chocolate craving. Not everyday, but when it comes I listen and head upstairs to the vending machine.

In goes my dollar. Out comes my change and the wheels turn to give me my snickers bar... before it gets stuck on the ledge. You have got to be kidding me. A girl comes up behind me to get to the machine. She sees my frustration and me walk into the coffee shop across the hall to ask for help. I am told by the barista to go down to the office and ask for Faye. OK. I get back not 30 seconds later. She's walking down the hall the other way and my snickers bar is no longer perched on the ledge NOR is it sitting where candy falls. You have got to be kidding me again. Did this girl actually take my snickers bar when she knew I was frustrated about it and not 20 feet away?

I follow her because I'm crazy like that.

Then I realize I am going to the bad place and probably mistaken anyway, so I turn back around and check the machine again. Nothing. Rage ensues and I go back down the hall to try to find her. Nothing.

I end up getting my money back from Faye so it's not really a big deal, but I'm very irritated because I know nobody used the machine between her and when I got back. I take solace in the knowledge that: 1. She's a large girl and I know what she looks like. 2. I'm spiteful in circumstances like this. 3. I will see her again.

Kind of reminds me of a scene from Better Off Dead. Does this make me that kid on the ski bike?

7 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Blogger Ken said...

Actually, it reminds me of a certain Seinfeld episode with a candy bar lineup orchestrated by George.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Ken said...

Nonetheless, it sucks. Sorry to hear it.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Brian said...

What to do next time you see her:

If alone, smile and say hello, and thank her for getting your candy bar out of the machine for you. Like "Hey, I never thanked you for getting that Snicker's bar out of the machine for me last (whenever)."

It would be interesting to see what she does.

If with friends/coworkers, introduce her to them as "the girl I told you about...the one who got that candy bar out for me".

I mean, worst case scenario is that she didn't do anything and she'll think you're crazy. But at least you don't steal $0.65 candy bars.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Julie Miller said...

lisa-personally i would kick her ass for stealing your candy, your story was hilarious though, made me laugh after a long work day...sometimes, my candy gets stuck hanging out-then i like to rattle the machine if no one is around, and sometimes, if someone is looking out for me, i get 2 candies for the price of one...another idea is to get a chocolate stash for your drawer in the lab-i do that and am known as the candy whore of our lab...julie

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Kyle said...

I abhor conflict but hate the injustice of this situation even more. I think I would have tried to get the precise decibel level of "You have got to be kidding me!" where if she was guilty she would have to knowlingly ignore you and if she was innocent she would have to turn around in confusion.

It is a tiny window.

But it is well worth the 65 cents for good story.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger marsha said...

i am in total admiration of your ability to not go to the bad place. i probably would have tackled her.

 
At 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the Snickers bar! We "large" people pull a lot of tricks to get that deep down hunger satisfaction. I can't believe you, of all people, fell for the "let me take you to the coffee shop" bit. Anyway, see ya at work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home