Livin' la Vida Roko

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Eye of the Beholder

I’m working on a leaded stained glass piece for practice and fun. It’s a window with curved pieces – all my work has been straight lines so far. Marsha has told me that fitting curves and circles can be hard, but this has been my first attempt. The straight lines are relatively easy but, she’s right, bending the lead and getting the curved glass pieces to fit just right can be challenging. If one piece is ‘off’, it will push all of the others ‘off’ too.

But I thought I was close enough. One line was a little skewed, but I thought nobody would notice. I soldered the pieces together last night and showed Ken.

“Hmm,” he says
“What?” I say
“Is that crooked?”

Arrgh. Enter my frustration and sadness that he noticed practically right away. I was a bit crushed since I was so proud that it was all put together. And also enter the dilemma that was presented:

I like his critique. He has a good eye for seeing when things are straight and he knows what he likes. If I get his seal of approval, I know I did a good job. However, that also puts him in a very awkward spot if the piece isn’t straight or if he just doesn’t like the style of the piece. In situations like last night, what is he to say? ‘No, it’s not straight and is totally noticeable.’ Or enter another situation of ‘The colors aren’t right’., ‘The frame you chose is too big’, etc….

How do you reconcile wanting and not wanting to know the truth?

Options I see include:
1. Don’t ask, don’t tell
2. Listening to his critique and handling it like a normal person without getting sad
3. Have him lie to me


I don’t like options 1 & 3. I want him to be truthful because it only makes the pieces better. But this whole situation sounds like a version of the classical “Do I look fat in this glass?

4 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, Blogger Brian said...

Heh. Your hubby definitely has a fine eye for that sort of thing. When I built that frame over our patio to hang shadecloth, he noticed that the center post was about 4 inches off of true center. As in immediately. And the posts were like 8 feet apart.

I have to contend with something similar regarding Marsha's super-sensitive sense of smell (and therefore taste) whenever she tries my cooking and (especially) my beer. I've pretty much learned to take it in stride and see the value in having that quality of critique available.

But I'd be lying if I said I got there overnight, you know?

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Kyle said...

I've never known any one with higher standards for excellence than myself.

Some people have tried to be helpful and point out minor foibles, but they are, without fail, completely wrong all the time.

It took Caroline a litle time to adjust to my never doing anything wrong and learn to always defer to me, but this difficult period exists in any relationship.

So sorry - I can't offer you any advice on this topic. But I assure you that if I could, it would be correct.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Caroline said...

he forgot to mention all the beatin's I receive when I talk back...zing!

Good post, Lisa. Can you put up a picture of what you made? I want to see what the curved glass looks like (with or without the minor flaw). Being married to an architect must be tough since they look at lines all day. He'll lose his eyesight soon and your problems will go away (sorry, Ken!).

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

I'll post a picture soon. Want to take it in the light and by the time I get home at night it's mostly dark. And I'm lucky just to find my shoes in the morning on the way out the door.

I did a cost analysis of the projects though. Totally ridiculous for the amount of time.

The leaded panel I mentioned in this post took 7 hours and cost $34.50 just in materials.

The copper foil panel I finished last night took 8.25 hours and cost $24.71

I did a rough estimate on the lamp shade... 31.5 hours and $49.95.

I'm going to try to sell some of the panels on craigslist as a way for my hobby to pay for itself, but as you can see this definitely isn't a hobby that will make you rich.

Good think I find it fun to do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home